Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adirtylurker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Hi guys first post on these boards. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 13" 2012 and after recieving delivery shortly realised that the line in function that was on earlier models wasn't included on this model. I am returning the Macbook and after I get refunded am looking at maybe getting an iMac 21.5 instead. Before doing so I just need to confirm that this unit will allow me to record in sound via line in as I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Hope I've explained clearly and thanks in advance to any replies :)

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Hi guys first post on these boards. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 13" 2012 and after recieving delivery shortly realised that the line in function that was on earlier models wasn't included on this model. I am returning the Macbook and after I get refunded am looking at maybe getting an iMac 21.5 instead. Before doing so I just need to confirm that this unit will allow me to record in sound via line in as I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Hope I've explained clearly and thanks in advance to any replies :)

I don't know for sure but I believe IMACs do not have an audio input either. Read here.

adirtylurker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I don't know for sure but I believe IMACs do not have an audio input either. Read here.

Thanks, if this is correct I'm astounded, I wanted to get a Mac so that I can start to use the music program Logic as this is only Mac compatible but now I will have to buy extras to allow me to record sound in. Gutted to say the least.

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks, if this is correct I'm astounded, I wanted to get a Mac so that I can start to use the music program Logic as this is only Mac compatible but now I will have to buy extras to allow me to record sound in. Gutted to say the least.

If you only use it for sound, why not buy a 2011 model?

kflanary

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
Your link is to a 2011 model and it states that it has an audio in line. But only 1 left in stock so order soon!

adirtylurker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
After further investigation i have realised I can buy an audio converter like iMic for not much cash to get around my original sound recording issue so am sticking with the Macbook. Thanks for all your advice though, much appreciatted.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

While I think the removal of the line in port on recent Macs is annoying, if you're looking at Logic then you need something a little more than that anyway.

If you're recording instruments and mics then honestly you want an external sound card anyway. Anyone who needs the power of Logic or ProTools is already using external sound (and then the lack of the firewire port to handle all the current low-latency FW pro audio breakout boxes is more annoying than the lack of a line in).

You can find good consumer/prosumer devices from people like M-audio and Griffin etc.

pgoodwin1

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
West Chester, OH
I've used a Griffin iMic for years

It does a decent job. It's not a high quality sound interface. It does line level inputs, not for microphones unless you buy one that puts out line levels. For a mic, you can use a USB mic directly to the computer. For the money and for what it's designed to do (get you a stereo line level input to your computer) it does the same job as a typical decent computer sound input port.

If you want high quality audio you need to go look for a 96 KHz/24 bit device. They are more $.

The iMic is only about $25 so for what it does, it's a great buy.

adirtylurker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
It does a decent job. It's not a high quality sound interface. It does line level inputs, not for microphones unless you buy one that puts out line levels. For a mic, you can use a USB mic directly to the computer. For the money and for what it's designed to do (get you a stereo line level input to your computer) it does the same job as a typical decent computer sound input port.

If you want high quality audio you need to go look for a 96 KHz/24 bit device. They are more $.

The iMic is only about $25 so for what it does, it's a great buy.

Thanks for this, at the minute I only wanted line level inputs to record from my mixer while on the decks so I think this will be fine? As for Logic, at the moment Im a serious beginner and will be looking at a better interface for recording instruments further down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.