Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the computer section or iPhone app section. I currently have an older version of 1password on my phone and was looking at it on the Mac app store and its 50 bucks. I kind of want to upgrade, but was wondering if the 50 bucks is really worth it to have on my desktop? Its 14 if I just upgrade it on my iPhone.

lemieuxfan67

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the computer section or iPhone app section. I currently have an older version of 1password on my phone and was looking at it on the Mac app store and its 50 bucks. I kind of want to upgrade, but was wondering if the 50 bucks is really worth it to have on my desktop? Its 14 if I just upgrade it on my iPhone.

Right now 1password for mac has yet to be updated to version 4 which is on the way. I personally would wait until then so you don't have to pay for both versions. If you go to their website you can try it free for 30 days. That might hold you over until version 4.0 comes out. At that time I would highly recommend purchasing for the mac.

As for version 4 for the iPhone. I would also highly recommend this.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Right now 1password for mac has yet to be updated to version 4 which is on the way. I personally would wait until then so you don't have to pay for both versions. If you go to their website you can try it free for 30 days. That might hold you over until version 4.0 comes out. At that time I would highly recommend purchasing for the mac.

As for version 4 for the iPhone. I would also highly recommend this.

Yeah I was thinking 14 bucks isn't too bad. When I download it, will my info in the current version I have automatically be updated? I was reading on the details portion of the app that you should back it up 1st, I mean thats pretty obvious.......but have there been problems with getting old data onto the new version?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Yeah I was thinking 14 bucks isn't too bad. When I download it, will my info in the current version I have automatically be updated? I was reading on the details portion of the app that you should back it up 1st, I mean thats pretty obvious.......but have there been problems with getting old data onto the new version?

I had no problem with my info being transferred over to the current version, but then again I sync the 1P keychain with Dropbox. Even if you're not using Dropbox (and I assume you're not) you could temporarily set it up to ensure that your upgrade goes seamlessly.

Whether the desktop version is worth it really depends on your usage. The desktop version is the one I use the most so, for me, it is worth it.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I had no problem with my info being transferred over to the current version, but then again I sync the 1P keychain with Dropbox. Even if you're not using Dropbox (and I assume you're not) you could temporarily set it up to ensure that your upgrade goes seamlessly.

Whether the desktop version is worth it really depends on your usage. The desktop version is the one I use the most so, for me, it is worth it.

I do use dropbox but I haven't backed up my 1P with it. I'll have to look into backing it up with that.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yep totally worth it IMHO and as someone said buy now and get the next version free when released. Although I will say I am not loving the new iOS version. Its clunky and buggy as hell.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Yep totally worth it IMHO and as someone said buy now and get the next version free when released. Although I will say I am not loving the new iOS version. Its clunky and buggy as hell.

I didn't upgrade to the new one. Not sure how many different ways I need to save my password info and access it. Still clueless on why they did the "re-release" in the first place.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I didn't upgrade to the new one. Not sure how many different ways I need to save my password info and access it. Still clueless on why they did the "re-release" in the first place.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much more secure the new one is. I wouldn't really care if it was just my info, but I do keep my dad and mom's SSN and credit card info in there because I use their cards a lot for travel, so I'd be concerned with their info getting out.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I've been using 1Password forever, and couldn't live without it (so to speak) on my Macbook.

I also upgraded to 1Password 4 on the iPad/iPhone. Changes weren't huge for me, but I wanted the latest. It's pretty elegant. And sync'ing via dropbox on all my devices is awesome.

Deandre

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012

SplashData's SplashID Safe is cheaper with the same cross platform capabilities as other costly password managers according to comparison charts. They provide highly reliable support update for latest devices such as iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.