Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildrosenbergs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I have a Toshiba 750GB USB external hard drive. I have a 320 GB internal hard drive on my MacBook Pro which I purchased in September 2011.

I used it for Time Machine but for some reason Time Machine ceased to function, taking weeks instead of hours to back up.

So I cleared all the files and have been backing up manually, i.e. once a week deleting the files and then saving all my files again. Everything is in one folder so easy to do, takes about 2 hours for about 180GB.

Then suddenly, my external hard drive says that it has only 68 GB free, although there are no files on it. I used Disk Utility to erase free space, but didn't get any more free space.

Can anyone clue me in? Do I have some sort of partition on the hard drive? I would like to restore it to being utterly blank.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I have a Toshiba 750GB USB external hard drive. I have a 320 GB internal hard drive on my MacBook Pro which I purchased in September 2011.

I used it for Time Machine but for some reason Time Machine ceased to function, taking weeks instead of hours to back up.

So I cleared all the files and have been backing up manually, i.e. once a week deleting the files and then saving all my files again. Everything is in one folder so easy to do, takes about 2 hours for about 180GB.

Then suddenly, my external hard drive says that it has only 68 GB free, although there are no files on it. I used Disk Utility to erase free space, but didn't get any more free space.

Can anyone clue me in? Do I have some sort of partition on the hard drive? I would like to restore it to being utterly blank.

Empty the trash with the drive connected

wildrosenbergs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the fix!

Gav2k, thanks for the quick fix. I'm glad I posted not just to fix my own hard drive, but surely this is a very common problem.

32samc

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
I think I have a similar problem, need some advice.

My macbook's harddrive crashed 3 days ago. This is the second harddrive to be replaced. the last one was 500GB the new one is 320Gb. I have an Iomega external harddrive that I bought in 2011 when it crashed the first time and have been using it ever since doing backups with time machine.

I plug in the external harddrive and open up time machine backups and all I see is old-ish files from 2011 where are my most recent files? I cant see them. The external HDD info tells me I have 160Gb of memory left so I want to know where the heck 335Gb worth of work is on the external HDD?

I have my final year dissertation due on Monday and I need to find certain files that i just cant see. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.