EyeTV, HDHomeRun, iTunes Questions - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:27 AM   #26
davids8477
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
The problem is, I have ATT U-verse for DSL service. That means I have only 1 wall outlet paired to enable the 11MB/s download, that means the router has to be there. Not sure where I would have to place the antenna for good reception, but I would imagine that the ethernet cable from the HDHR would be as long as the coax, so no benefit (and you would have to have an outlet near the antenna). I already stream wirelessly to the aTV.

But I do appreciate all the suggestions.
I understand, but there is a way.

In my setup I use the Uverse modem to pass through the connection to my Airport Modem - I do not use the Uverse box as a router. I then hang an ethernet switch onto my Airport and the HDHR onto the switch.
Yes there is an ethernet cable to the switch (and power), but then you have access to the HDHR anywhere in the house with no additional cable.
Not sure if this will help in your case, just a suggestion.
davids8477 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:20 PM   #27
hipnetic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Just thought I'd post here to mention another alternative...

You could use a Windows 7 or 8 computer with the Windows Media Center software to do the TV recording, and that will work with the HDHomeRun Prime w/cablecard, allowing you to record more than just the local networks (which is all you'll tune in with ClearQAM). Then, add to that the Plex Media Server app which will do on-the-fly transcoding of your HDTV shows (which are in MPEG-2 format) to your iOS devices running the Plex client app. With an un-jailbroken Apple TV, you can use your iPhone/iPad's AirPlay feature to stream the video to that.

For live TV on your iPhone/iPad, you can use the app InstaTV (no pause/rewind functionality, just live TV).

I just bought a base-model 2012 Mac Mini which I'm thinking about setting up a Boot Camp Windows 7 partition on so that I can use this as my replacement Windows Media Center server (my current box is more powerful, but it's a very large HP tower, so I'm thinking about replacing it with the Mini). Now that my household has become more and more entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, I'd prefer a Mac OS solution, but as others have mentioned, eyeTV is behind the times in not supporting the HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner and it sounds like Windows Media Center might be more problem-free in general.

If you want to have your TV shows automatically converted to MP4 format in the middle of the night, or whenever, you can do that as well using some other apps, but I find that I watch a show and then delete it, rather than archive them for the future, so the on-the-fly transcoding approach works fine for me. Truth be told, I don't really do a lot of TV watching on my iPhone/iPad/AppleTV around the house as I also have XBox 360's in a couple of rooms and I can use those as "extenders" to play live TV and recorded shows streamed from my Windows Media Center computer (no transcoding necessary). But I anticipate doing a bit more TV watching with the iPad as my wife and I get into an exercising routine, as the room with the exercise equipment doesn't have a TV. Also it can come in handy if we're in bed and one of us is watching something on the TV that the other person doesn't like. Just fire up the iPad, put on the headphones, and watch your own thing.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:35 PM   #28
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettL1979 View Post
So here's my plan-- We have DirecTV right now, but our contract ends this summer. I figured I would just replace the satellite dish with an outdoor antenna and attach the coax that had been running to the dish to this antenna instead. Then I'll connect the antenna's coax which runs into the house to the HDHR. The HDHR will be connected to our AEBS. We plan to use EyeTV on our 2011 MBP (upgraded internal hd to 1tb; 8gb of ram) to transcode and then import videos to iTunes for viewing on our two ATV3s.

Will this work?
Yes absolutely this will work just fine. It's pretty much exactly what I've been doing for the past year and a half. Your plan is good and it has been tested and is in use by others. Go forth!

Now: One finer point to consider after you've got it set up and working:

The location where EyeTV stores its exports to iTunes is a little funny. There's no place in EyeTV to specify where you want it to actually store the exported .m4v file. (You CAN tell it where you want it to store the original, uncompressed EyeTV recordings. Just not the exported iTunes files.)

a.) If your iTunes library is stored on your internal hard drive, EyeTV sends the exported .m4V there.

b.) If your iTunes library is stored on an external hard drive, EyeTV sends the exported .m4V to your user/movies directory on your internal hard drive.

This means it's hard to get EyeTV to store the transcoded recordings on an external hard drive alone, even if that's where your iTunes library resides. Weird, I know. Especially since most folks would want to store the exported files on an external hard drive to preserve space on the precious internal drive.

The way I got around this was with AppleScripts. You can put an AppleScript in EyeTV's directories that tell it to export a show when it is finished recording, and to store it on an external drive, AND to "add" it to iTunes' library WITHOUT copying the file into the iTunes Library folder. My own iTunes library is stored on my internal drive, but my exported EyeTV shows are stored on a spacious external drive thanks to this script. To avoid double-storage, you should un-check the "export" option for your EyeTV smart guides, since the applescript will just auto-export every recording, whether that checkbox is clicked or not. I'm at work now and don't have easy access to my home machine, but I can copy-paste the applescript I used to do this later. (You'll likely find other applescript solutions for this type of thing if you google around. EyeTV is pretty customizable via AppleScript.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettL1979 View Post
Also, will our MBP need to be connected via ethernet to the AEBS or will wifi work? I'd rather not have to keep it connected.
Wifi should work. It's only the HDHR that needs to be physically wired to your router. Any computer running EyeTV (or Windows Media Center) that connects to your local network can receive the tuner streams from the HDHR, whether that computer is connected via ethernet OR wireless. This is how Silicon Dust advertises the capability of the HDHR.
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/

What happens is you open up EyeTV for the first time on your mac and it will scan your local network for EyeTV-compatible tuners. It will find the HDHR and connect to it. Wired or wireless, it shouldn't matter.

That said, I've always used my system with my mac wired to the router. So I can't comment on how WELL it works when only using wireless. I'd expect that the quality of your recorded EyeTV shows could potentially be affected if your wifi signal is spotty at the location of your mac. But as long as you have a strong signal where your mac is, you should be just fine.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:03 PM   #29
GarrettL1979
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgalvan123 View Post
Yes absolutely this will work just fine. It's pretty much exactly what I've been doing for the past year and a half. Your plan is good and it has been tested and is in use by others. Go forth!

Now: One finer point to consider after you've got it set up and working:

The location where EyeTV stores its exports to iTunes is a little funny. There's no place in EyeTV to specify where you want it to actually store the exported .m4v file. (You CAN tell it where you want it to store the original, uncompressed EyeTV recordings. Just not the exported iTunes files.)

a.) If your iTunes library is stored on your internal hard drive, EyeTV sends the exported .m4V there.

b.) If your iTunes library is stored on an external hard drive, EyeTV sends the exported .m4V to your user/movies directory on your internal hard drive.

This means it's hard to get EyeTV to store the transcoded recordings on an external hard drive alone, even if that's where your iTunes library resides. Weird, I know. Especially since most folks would want to store the exported files on an external hard drive to preserve space on the precious internal drive.

The way I got around this was with AppleScripts. You can put an AppleScript in EyeTV's directories that tell it to export a show when it is finished recording, and to store it on an external drive, AND to "add" it to iTunes' library WITHOUT copying the file into the iTunes Library folder. My own iTunes library is stored on my internal drive, but my exported EyeTV shows are stored on a spacious external drive thanks to this script. To avoid double-storage, you should un-check the "export" option for your EyeTV smart guides, since the applescript will just auto-export every recording, whether that checkbox is clicked or not. I'm at work now and don't have easy access to my home machine, but I can copy-paste the applescript I used to do this later. (You'll likely find other applescript solutions for this type of thing if you google around. EyeTV is pretty customizable via AppleScript.)



Wifi should work. It's only the HDHR that needs to be physically wired to your router. Any computer running EyeTV (or Windows Media Center) that connects to your local network can receive the tuner streams from the HDHR, whether that computer is connected via ethernet OR wireless. This is how Silicon Dust advertises the capability of the HDHR.
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/

What happens is you open up EyeTV for the first time on your mac and it will scan your local network for EyeTV-compatible tuners. It will find the HDHR and connect to it. Wired or wireless, it shouldn't matter.

That said, I've always used my system with my mac wired to the router. So I can't comment on how WELL it works when only using wireless. I'd expect that the quality of your recorded EyeTV shows could potentially be affected if your wifi signal is spotty at the location of your mac. But as long as you have a strong signal where your mac is, you should be just fine.
Thank you so much! I actually moved our iTunes library to an external drive, so I could use the internal drive for EyeTV recordings. Anyways, since it sounds like the new HDHR will have a built in transcoding capability, I might just wait until this summer when it's released. That way EyeTV doesn't have to transcode the uncompressed files transmitted over wifi.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:48 PM   #30
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettL1979 View Post
Anyways, since it sounds like the new HDHR will have a built in transcoding capability, I might just wait until this summer when it's released. That way EyeTV doesn't have to transcode the uncompressed files transmitted over wifi.
Wow! I hadn't heard that, but am happy to see it is true:

"In comes two new network tuners, the HDHR4-US and the HDHR4-CC. Both offer hardware transcoding for "digital-to-digital conversion of high-bandwidth MPEG2 streams to bandwidth-friendly H.264." The primary difference between the two new models is one has a CableCARD slot for recording four HD premium channels at once, and the other has dual clear QAM or ATSC tuners -- there is also a third unit, HDHR4-DT2, for Europe and Australia."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/s...uners-with-tr/

A thought comes to mind, though:

-EyeTV would need to update its software to support ingesting/dealing with H.264 instead of the uncompressed MPEG-2, which is what it works with currently. I don't know how big a deal that kind of change is, but in my experience ElGato is kind of slow with their updates. So I wouldn't be surprised if EyeTV doesn't support the new HDHR4 for a while, which would be frustrating for mac users.

At the time I purchased my HDHR3 a couple years ago, ElGato was selling them bundled with EyeTV software. But ElGato has not endorsed Silicon Dust's HDHR products for about a year now. And they sell their own tuner products as well (which are inferior to HDHR, in my opinion).

I would love for more options on the mac in addition to EyeTV.

I do remember reading something about plugins that allow you to access the HDHomerun stream directly in XBMC or Plex. I actually installed and tried to use the XBMC plugin on my jailbroken ATV2. But I couldn't get it to work. Probably because ATV2's buffer storage is not big enough to handle the MPEG-2 stream. But if that stream is now H.264, that may make it do-able. Could enable an end-run around EyeTV entirely?
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:16 PM   #31
hipnetic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
According to the devs at SiliconDust, the new boxes which do on-the-fly transcoding to h264 should work with Windows Media Center as-is. Apparently there are already cable companies transmitting some TV shows in h264 (vs MPEG-2) and WMC already supports it. That may be true of EyeTV as well. Of course, EyeTV does not currently support encrypted channels (no cablecard support), so that's a separate concern.

If you haven't tried WMC, it's actually very, very good. I have an HP tower with Intel i7 chip running WMC and Plex Media Server, and it does a great job of on-the-fly transcoding to Plex clients. Unfortunately, Plex does not support live TV / DVR functionality from the client side, so you have to wait until a show has recorded before you can watch it on a Plex client.

There is another iOS app called InstaTV which actually will play the HDHomeRun Prime MPEG-2 streams directly on an iPhone/iPad without any transcoding at all (amazingly enough). It's a bit flakey, but can confirm that it does work. No pause/rewind functionality, though...just live TV.
hipnetic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #32
crazyk4952
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
There is another iOS app called InstaTV which actually will play the HDHomeRun Prime MPEG-2 streams directly on an iPhone/iPad without any transcoding at all (amazingly enough). It's a bit flakey, but can confirm that it does work. No pause/rewind functionality, though...just live TV.
This app was just updated on 2/8. With the new update, it is MUCH less flakey!!
crazyk4952 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 02:19 PM   #33
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I have now received that new transcoding HDHR device and am experimenting with it to replace my HDHR3 Dual unit.

-EyeTV does not support it, but others on the silicon dust forums have said they can get EyeTV to recognize the new device (the "HD Homerun Plus"). However, I did not have success with that when I tried it last night. Have an open question to silicon dust on how to get EyeTV to see it.

-It is possible to manually record a channel from the PLUS using its onboard transcoding capability using the terminal: using wget commands like this:

Wget 30 minute recording of channel 5.1:
wget http://<device ip>:5004/auto/v5.1?transcode=mobile\&duration=1800

See this thread for more details on this.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/vi...p?f=68&t=16430
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HDHomeRun Dual 4 ryanpfw Apple TV and Home Theater 6 Mar 17, 2014 11:24 AM
EyeTV, HDHomerun Dual, and Recording OTA - Exporting, AppleScripts, etc. cpeek Apple TV and Home Theater 14 Apr 12, 2013 12:54 AM
Anyone using the SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner? richfromroch Mac mini 9 Dec 9, 2012 02:44 PM
Elgato Netstream DTT vs HDhomerun DUAL and EyeTV niewiesznic Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Dec 4, 2012 12:05 PM
HDHomeRun Networking Question irishv Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Nov 3, 2012 05:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC