Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T has again expanded access to the FaceTime Over Cellular feature to customers on all tiered data plans with a compatible FaceTime device. Previously, only users with an LTE device -- the iPad 3 and 4, as well as the iPhone 5 and iPad mini -- could use FaceTime over cellular. The only users who still can't use the feature are users with a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

NewImage6.png
When FaceTime over Cellular launched in September 2012, we explained that we wanted to roll it out gradually to ensure the service had minimal impact on the mobile experience for all of our customers.

As a result of ongoing testing, we're announcing AT&T will enable FaceTime over Cellular at no extra charge for customers with any tiered data plan using a compatible iOS device.

This means iPhone 4S customers with tiered plans will be able to make FaceTime calls over the AT&T cellular network. AT&T previously made FaceTime over Cellular available to customers with a Mobile Share plan and those with an LTE device on tiered plans.
AT&T says the update should be automatically applied over the next few months, and eligible users won't need to do anything special to begin using FaceTime over cellular.

The upshot is that any AT&T customer with a supported device -- the iPhone 4S and newer, the third generation iPad and newer, and the iPad mini -- will soon be able to use FaceTime over cellular.

Article Link: AT&T Expands FaceTime Over Cellular Support to All Tiered Data Plans

akrimmer

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Facetime over cellular previously and currently already works on the 4S. I believe you had to be on a mobile share plan though. I know I have used it a few times on my 4S.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Once again, unlimited data plan users get the shaft. Getting tired of being discriminated against.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Seems to me that they either:

1. Able to keep expanding Facetime to all users, rolling it out slowly and eventually to ALL plans
2. Trying to rub it in even more to get off unlimited data

I will get off unlimited data when I can pay $5/GB without throttling or until AT&T says so which will make me switch to another carrier.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
After 3 and a half years, I gave up my AT&T Unlimited data plan. :(

I just switched to the Shared Data plan. For a little bit more than the cost of my one iPhone plus all the extras (tethering, etc), everyone in my family can have an iPhone.

So, I've had FaceTime enabled for a few days now. But guess what? I still don't have anyone to talk to. I know half a dozen people with iOS devices. None of them use FaceTime.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Six months ago when I switched to Straight Talk after a decade of AT&T/Cingular/AT&T, I wondered if I would regret giving up my unlimited plan. Thank you AT&T for continuing to make me feel good about my decision. For me the breaking point was when they got rid of all but the $15/month unlimited texting plan.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
It's so stupid that I can use Skype, or anything else over cellular data, but not FaceTime! Annoying, but I still won't give up my grandfathered data plan for that. It isn't the best of incentives to pry it out of my hands.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
So, even though you get throttled on the unlimited plan, and Facetime wouldn't work while throttled, we STILL can't use it...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes, let's screw over our customers who have been the most loyal...great PR.

You mean the the people who scream the loudest.

Once again, unlimited data plan users get the shaft. Getting tired of being discriminated against.

Discrimination? Look - I have the unlimited data plan. Happy it's still been grandfathered. That's a gift. And I'm no fan of ATT. ATT could easily just put everyone on a tiered plan at any upgrade cycle. They haven't.

Hardly discrimination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.