Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:45 PM   #51
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Unlimited users are still hosed.
you signed up for unlimited data at 2007 or 2008 levels. you're still getting it
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:47 PM   #52
wehokev
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPChicago View Post
So this means customers with 2GB data plan can FaceTime now??
One would think, but it still doesn't work on mine here in LA.
wehokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:49 PM   #53
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Arbitrarily limited unlimited data plans. While people stick with the 'data is data' when stealing tethering, I've always stuck to they are selling you data for THAT device making not paying for the right to tether wrong. With that they shouldn't be able to restrict how I can use my data on that device.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:49 PM   #54
needfx
macrumors 68030

Facetime.
Look at other peoples' privates. Over cellular.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:50 PM   #55
platoonboss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
You mean the the people who scream the loudest.
A guy at the AT&T store suggested that I leave Pandora on 24-hours a day to see how they like that. That's what I'm going to do. I just pretend that I have NO DATA PLAN, because its useless anyway. Why don't they just call the Unlimited Plan the "Slow, Crappy, Buffering, Useless, Throttled, Limited, Unlimited Plan"?

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 16, 2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
platoonboss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:50 PM   #56
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtstarck View Post
The reverse is given all those limitations, why not drop "unlimited" data? I'd venture to guess most of the people still using "unlimited" aren't coming anywhere close to 2GB/mo.
I'm stubborn. haha
Universal iOS app : Novembers Doom : The Wayfaring Chronicles
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:51 PM   #57
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtstarck View Post
The reverse is given all those limitations, why not drop "unlimited" data? I'd venture to guess most of the people still using "unlimited" aren't coming anywhere close to 2GB/mo.
I used 5GB last month. The old unlimited plan is still worth keeping since AT&T throttles you on LTE at 5GB and the plan costs $30. I could switch to the 5GB *tiered* plan, but then that would cost me $50 -- so why would I pay $20 more for the same amount of data?

Once AT&T lowers the price of the 5GB to the same level or lower than my unlimited plan then I'll switch. Either that, or AT&T will do away with my plan altogether and force me off it.

The lack of facetime support is annoying but minor for me. I rarely use facetime and usually when I do, its to appease someone who got a new iOS device and wants to try it out.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:52 PM   #58
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
How is them keeping me on unlimited data, which was part of my contract, a gift? I agreed to maintain service for x amount of time....and they agreed to provide me with x amount of services. If they pull unlimited, I should be able to walk free.
You agreed to maintain service for X amount of time. They agreed to *provide* service for that *same* X amount of time. If, at the end of that term, they don't want to offer the same terms *again*, they aren't (and shouldn't be) required to do so.

When they decided to stop offering the unlimited plans, they could, just as easily have required people to move to tiered plans as the active 2-year term of their unlimited plan expired.

Continuing to *offer* the unlimited plans to those of us who started with them, when they stopped offering them to new subscribers is the gift in question. (And you've got to be deliberately obtuse not to realize that.)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:54 PM   #59
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
Still waiting AT&T...

- iPhone 5 with Unlimited Data Plan
"The only users who still can't use the feature are users with a grandfathered unlimited data plan."

Lame, trying to squeeze you guys out.
luqtotheman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:54 PM   #60
chainprayer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chainprayer
If the "unlimited" plan gets throttled after high usage, why would it matter to restrict FaceTime?
chainprayer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:54 PM   #61
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrinkma View Post
You agreed to maintain service for X amount of time. They agreed to *provide* service for that *same* X amount of time. If, at the end of that term, they don't want to offer the same terms *again*, they aren't (and shouldn't be) required to do so.

When they decided to stop offering the unlimited plans, they could, just as easily have required people to move to tiered plans as the active 2-year term of their unlimited plan expired.

Continuing to *offer* the unlimited plans to those of us who started with them, when they stopped offering them to new subscribers is the gift in question. (And you've got to be deliberately obtuse not to realize that.)
And TBrinkman and I hardly ever agree! So there!
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:55 PM   #62
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0by View Post
Sounds like a scam to me. Sounds kinda crazy that everyone doesn't have to pay extra for Facetime over LTE except for loyal/long term customers.
Crazy, you say? Crazy that people can use the data that they paid for however they choose?
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:57 PM   #63
Pman17
macrumors member

Unlimited Data Plan...

Maybe AT&T will soon accept us once they get the unlimited customers down to a small percentage.
Pman17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:58 PM   #64
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrinkma View Post

That is not what I said....if they were to pull unlimited from us mid contract I would walk, and I promise you I would not pay a termination fee.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:01 PM   #65
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtwentyseven View Post
Probably that, and that people with caps will go over if they make too many FaceTime calls, meaning extra $$ for AT&T. I still don't get why my wife's 300 MB plan charges a fortune for another 300 MB if she goes over (she hasn't yet, that's why she's still on it), instead of charging her the extra $5 to jump up to 3GB. Greed.
Actually, you do get it. It is greed. Same thing when you overdraft your debit card. The bank fronts you $5 to cover the latte you just purchased. Then it charges you a $30 fee. There was no reason for this. There was no cost to the bank to do the transaction. Often the customer had the extra cash in their savings account in the same bank while only their checking account was depleted.

Here AT&T is just trying to nail you for guessing wrong on your data usage. It is greed. But also your wife is doing less than most customers to support the network as she has opted for the cheap plan. So I guess if you want to get those savings, you have to take the risk of these traps.
TallManNY is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:02 PM   #66
imaginex20
macrumors 6502a

FT works for me over celluar. 2GB plan in the SF Bay Area
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:06 PM   #67
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
More reasons to support net neutrality and its enforcement.

A free Internet has changed the world, and I hope we don't allow Corporations to crowd together to stifle it.
Yujenisis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:07 PM   #68
macinsanity
macrumors member

Just spoke with rep about Facetime and unlimited plans yesterday...

I almost gave in yesterday. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I called to switch to the 6GB plan. The ATT rep talked me out of it. She said the issue of "not being able to use Facetime with your unlimited plan will soon change."

I'm not sure if she had old information, misinformation, or if they will still open this up to unlimited plan users soon. Maybe they are phasing it in and seeing how the network handles the load.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:09 PM   #69
rcalderoni
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Remind me again why we can't sue AT&T for limiting our feature capability?
You can sue them, but you probably won't win. It's their product/service offering, they are free to design it as they see fit. If you don't want it, don't buy it.
rcalderoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:13 PM   #70
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

I see they're still screwing the loyal unlimited users. ATT already throttles LTE users who go over 5 GB. Let me use the data for Facetime and tethering and if I get throttled it's my problem.
rmatthewware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:13 PM   #71
JPChicago
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginex20 View Post
FT works for me over celluar. 2GB plan in the SF Bay Area
Wow really? Looks like a family member of mine will be very happy to hear this news! 2GB data plan
JPChicago is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:16 PM   #72
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
Once again, unlimited data plan users get the shaft. Getting tired of being discriminated against.
Discriminated, ironically, for being the most loyal customers. I've been with AT&T for over a decade, paid EVERY bill on time, or early, and never complained about anything they've ever charged me for.. And because of that I am punished. Way to appreciate ur most loyal following!!
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:16 PM   #73
RobNYC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
Once again, unlimited data plan users get the shaft. Getting tired of being discriminated against.
It's just a concerted effort to kick us off the plan and move to a tiered plan.

Considering I've used facetime only once in the last two years I'm not moving.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:18 PM   #74
TUD
macrumors regular

Naturally, grandfathered unlimited data users get sc***ed. It's all good AT&T, after 4.5 years I am leaving this fall, maybe sooner. This is the last straw, along with the fact your network is nonexistent at large sporting events (college or pro).
TUD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:19 PM   #75
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
That is not what I said....if they were to pull unlimited from us mid contract I would walk, and I promise you I would not pay a termination fee.
I would check your contract to see if unlimited is listed there. You can always walk - without paying a termination fee - if ATT changes their policies mid-contract. Nothing new there.

That was never the argument. The argument, at least the one I was responding to, is that the fact that unlimited still exists - is a gift from ATT. Because they could end that at any time. Either they end it (for example) today and then you decide what you want to do. Or they wait until your contract is up and/or you upgrade your phone and sign a new agreement. Either way - the fact they grandfathered people in is a "gift" because they are not obligated to do so.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion