Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:25 PM   #76
rdlink
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Suck it, AT&T. I have a good carrier.
__________________
Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, Phone, Tablet
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:25 PM   #77
currocj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
....the fact they grandfathered people in is a "gift" because they are not obligated to do so.
Not a gift. Free is a gift. I pay $30 per month for this service.
currocj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:26 PM   #78
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Here's the thing, though, that speaks for my family, and might speak for others. We currently have two phones on $30 grandfathered plans, one iPhone on the old $25 2GB plan, and a feature phone, which has been doing silly things for my pops, so he's gonna be getting a Lumia soon, which would raise the bill by another $20 with the 300MB plan, all on the 700 minute plan with a 17% FAN discount. With our bill sitting at around $200/month now (which I'm trying to figure out how we can lower it, hopefully with removing the $30 texting plan as we all will have smartphones soon and utilize IM apps like Whatsapp, etc., a surplus of rollover minutes, and utilization of talkatone on our iPhones). With mobile share, which will be tiered, the next available to fit our needs is the 4GB plan. With potentially 4 smartphones, that'll put the bill upward of $230 plus taxes. Then, with everyone is allotted a GB or so, a data rationing system is created. All for what? To give more money to AT&T to be able to see each other's face on our screens for a couple of minutes? The tradeoff's ridiculous. Keeping our plans as is, adding my pop's smartphone, then doing away with texting would supplant us at around where our bill is now.

Long story short, for us, the feature set of the new tiered plans isn't enticing or cost-effective enough to warrant families who do use data or work, school, and leisure and who are knowledgable enough about their needs and their bill. The news of a feature addition that leaves long-term customers out who base doing so on costs is a money grab to the worst degree. Contracts are ending in March, pops Lumia will be off contract, phones are being unlocked, and we will be going month-to-month and awaiting T-Mobile's rollout.
__________________
-Major K-
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011)/ iPod Classic 80GB Black/ iPhone 4S 16GB White/ iPad Mini Wifi 16GB White
Chocolatemilty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:29 PM   #79
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by currocj View Post
Not a gift. Free is a gift. I pay $30 per month for this service.
It is a gift in the holistic sense. Yes - you pay for data. But $30 at ATT right now gets you what - 3gb. They are gifting you anything above that. Unlimited. Everything above 3gb, at current rates is free.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:31 PM   #80
mattopotamus
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
It is a gift in the holistic sense. Yes - you pay for data. But $30 at ATT right now gets you what - 3gb. They are gifting you anything above that. Unlimited. Everything above 3gb, at current rates is free.
actually it is 5gb if you are on LTE
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:32 PM   #81
RobNYC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Remind me again why we can't sue AT&T for limiting our feature capability?
Technically they're not. You can get these features you just have to switch to a tiered plan.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:33 PM   #82
currocj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
It is a gift in the holistic sense. Yes - you pay for data. But $30 at ATT right now gets you what - 3gb. They are gifting you anything above that. Unlimited. Everything above 3gb, at current rates is free.
I see your point. But my point is the 'beaten to a pulp' argument - why did they call it unlimited if they limit at 5GB (throttle), limit FaceTime, and limit tethering. I.e. its not without limits!
currocj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:37 PM   #83
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
So ATT is screwing their longest loyal customers? Sounds like a good plan to me.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:40 PM   #84
ShockTroop
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Really....

Does ATT think I am going to FaceTime all day long through my unlimited plan?????
ShockTroop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:41 PM   #85
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by currocj View Post
I see your point. But my point is the 'beaten to a pulp' argument - why did they call it unlimited if they limit at 5GB (throttle), limit FaceTime, and limit tethering. I.e. its not without limits!
Here's where I stand on the issue in total.

I am happy I am still able to have an unlimited plan. In actuality - it's probably to my detriment because, as you say, I am limited in services. Esp since I don't go near the 5GB cap on a similarly priced plan. However - I am "safe" for now knowing that I have unlimited and don't have to worry. And since the plan is no longer offered - makes no sense (for me) to switch. If ATT forces me - I won't mind so much because at least I've had it as long as this.

Now. Here's where I get frustrated along with everyone else.

If you are on a metered plan. Then your data should be used however you want. FaceTime, tethering, etc. Because you are in actuality - paying for each byte.

As an unlimited user - I understand that one of the downsides to having unlimited is that ATT doesn't want to tax their network with the MANY of us on unlimited who COULD effectively stream 24/7. I understand and accept that froma business perspective.

But again - metered plans? It shouldn't matter.

A bad restaurant example.

I understand that at an all you can eat buffet - it's only all I can eat when at the restaurant.

However - if I order food ala carte. The restaurant shouldn't dictate how, where and when I eat my food.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:41 PM   #86
lordofthereef
macrumors 604
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
How many of the complainers here would actually use facetime over cellular?
__________________
Endorse what you love instead of attacking what you hate.
lordofthereef is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:43 PM   #87
Kirb112
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtwentyseven View Post
Times have changed since the original contract. Consider yourselves lucky you have unlimited. I'm stuck with a 2 GB cap. I seriously expected AT&T to say all the unlimited agreements were signed during the 3G era and if anyone wanted LTE they would need a new contract. You should be glad that instead of saying that, they upped your throttle cap for LTE.
I was thinking they would do the same thing. Happy and thankful that they did not. Would be nice to have all of the feature though.
Kirb112 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:45 PM   #88
jrswizzle
macrumors 603
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Still can't FT on my unlimited iP5 - but at least I can on my iPad mini now!

Possibly on my work iP4S as well - not sure if that's grandfathered unlimited or not....
__________________
Nexus 5 | iPhone 6+, 6, 2G | Lumia 635 | Fire Phone |iPad Air 2 | Kindle Fire 7" HDX | 21.5" iMac (Early 2012) | 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2013)
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:47 PM   #89
bmoorhouse
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houston
Let's see, why do I stick with my unlimited plan?

Because my current bill with 5GB of "unlimited" data and enough texting and minutes to meet our needs is only $108.

The closest service using either AT&T's Family Plan or their Shared Plan is $160.

I understand the Shared Plans are cheaper for some people, but they definitely are not for us.
bmoorhouse is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:48 PM   #90
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
I've done this maybe 3 times ever since it was enabled... reading this post just made me realize I still had that capability on my iPhone 5
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:50 PM   #91
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Remind me again why we can't sue AT&T for limiting our feature capability?
lol, sue for what? You going to sue your cable provider for not providing you HBO for free? OMG, some people....
Macboy Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:50 PM   #92
spazzcat
macrumors 68000
 
spazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
After 3 and a half years, I gave up my AT&T Unlimited data plan.

I just switched to the Shared Data plan. For a little bit more than the cost of my one iPhone plus all the extras (tethering, etc), everyone in my family can have an iPhone.

So, I've had FaceTime enabled for a few days now. But guess what? I still don't have anyone to talk to. I know half a dozen people with iOS devices. None of them use FaceTime.
I'm giving mine up soon, maybe with 5S, by moving to someone else...
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:51 PM   #93
tigres
macrumors 68040
 
tigres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
ooooh facetime. It's like thunderbolt.

AT&T, stop making a big deal how nice you are! You show your colors when you are clearly violating FCC NN rules. By allowing Skype on network data, and not Apple- then nit picking your paying consumer on some plans but not others makes you, AT&T, in gross violation of the policies of the FCC.

Here's a nice excerpt:

"Mobile broadband is at an earlier stage in its development than
fixed broadband and is evolving rapidly. For that and other reasons
discussed below, we conclude that it is appropriate at this time to
take measured steps in this area. Accordingly, we require mobile
broadband providers to comply with the transparency rule, which
includes enforceable disclosure obligations regarding device and
application certification and approval processes; we prohibit providers
from blocking lawful Web sites; and we prohibit providers from blocking
applications that compete with providers' voice and video telephony
services
. We will closely monitor the development of the mobile
broadband market and will adjust the framework we adopt in this Order
as appropriate."
__________________
Quicker than two shakes of a lambs tail
tigres is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:51 PM   #94
digizure
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
How many of the complainers here would actually use facetime over cellular?
I would. I'm deaf and use facetime over cellular. It sucks though because I have the unlimited plan.
digizure is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:52 PM   #95
spazzcat
macrumors 68000
 
spazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
lol, sue for what? You going to sue your cable provider for not providing you HBO for free? OMG, some people....
This more like you had HBO for 10 years, we added 5 new HBOs, but only you can't have them.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:52 PM   #96
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
I will just wait for the jailbreak to give me this feature (even though I may have to wait longer).

Anyway, so on my way home last night, I saw a billboard sign that said "AT&T = Corporate Greed". HAHA! I will see if I can take a picture of it today.
__________________
Macbook Air 11" 2013/i7/8GB RAM/250GB SSD
iPhone 6+ 64GB Space Gray
nepalisherpa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:54 PM   #97
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
But again - metered plans? It shouldn't matter.
On the surface it would appear that way, yes. But in reality the tiered prices are based on averages. Averages that, in all likelihood, don't come anywhere near the level of the tiers.

So they factor in the cost (infrastructure-wise) of providing, on average, say, 1GB to each 3GB data subscriber. Yes any one of them is free to use all 3GB for the usage currently allowed. But then the price would change to reflect that now 3GB is the new average.

For whatever the reason it seems AT&T assumed Facetime over 3G/4G was going to raise those averages. But considering how little people really use Facetime when away from wifi they have realized it does not. So now they allow it.



Quote:
A bad restaurant example.

I understand that at an all you can eat buffet - it's only all I can eat when at the restaurant.

However - if I order food ala carte. The restaurant shouldn't dictate how, where and when I eat my food.
That is a bad example because at a restaurant the food they provide you is gone the minute they serve it to you. If you ate two bites and then left the rest on the table it is still gone and unusable. That is completely different than mobile data.

In a way the tiered plans are more like all-you-can-eat-up-to-this-much with the understanding and pricing model based on averages that say few will really eat "this much."




Michael
Tinmania is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:56 PM   #98
iPusch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Sweet, I have been waiting for this.
haha your QR code is brilliant ) pretty daughter, congrats
iPusch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:59 PM   #99
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyofindy View Post
I am surprised there has not been any law suite from unlimited custmers.
That's EASY.... They do not have a cap on their data. Just because they are throttled doesn't mean they do not have unlimited data. Said it before and will say it again. Anyone who has unlimited data should get what they paid for when they bought that plan. Unlimited data at 2G speeds, not 3G, or 4G, or LTE.

People expect unlimited data on an AT&T network that in some areas can have speeds in excess of 40Gb/s when you signed up for a plan that was around 700kbs at the time?

And they are the people who call companies like AT&T greedy. LOL, you have to be kidding me.
Macboy Pro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:03 PM   #100
robbone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
AT&T is such a joke and they are so lame. So the most loyal customers to AT&T still get screwed way to go guys
robbone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T FaceTime over cellular with Unlimited plans seems live...for real this time kre62 iPhone 48 Mar 21, 2013 03:14 PM
So are unlimited plans still getting FaceTime over cellular? jer9542 iPhone 16 Nov 30, 2012 10:36 PM
AT&T Expands FaceTime Over Cellular Access to More Customers MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 163 Nov 24, 2012 12:35 PM
AT&T now allowing FaceTime on any tiered plan (still not on unlimited plans). dylanursula iPhone 1 Nov 8, 2012 03:14 PM
Mini will have cellular data plans? patent10021 iPad 1 Oct 24, 2012 04:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC