Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:08 PM   #26
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGagnon View Post
Why not just use FaceTime?
FaceTime is not yet cross-platform. I believe that was Apple's original goal, to build it on a protocol that other platforms could utilize, but I've yet to see a third-party integration of FaceTime. Have you seen such a thing
coolfactor is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:11 PM   #27
rmwebs
Banned

No thanks Facebook...I'm good. Funnily enough my phone has that built into it. It's known as Facetime.

And if for any reason I have some odd need to make a video call (not that I ever have/will/do/care about it) to someone on an Android handset, I'll use Skype.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:13 PM   #28
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Instant messaging and voice/video calls are the broken parts of the Internet. Why can't everyone use the same protocols instead of locking down their users?

I can email anyone from any operating system to anyone else on any other operating system and they'll be able to receive it.

Also, what happened to Steve Jobs' promise to open up the FaceTime protocol?
Yvan256 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:13 PM   #29
b166er
macrumors 68020

Any word on whether or not this will roll out to the android app? I imagine so, since facebook seems to be highly motivated to get everyone using their new features.

I think this is pretty cool- it's one more thing that is going to keep people using facebook. Being able to make video calls between iOS, android, WP8, and PC's is a pretty huge deal, and the skype apps kind of suck (except for the WP8 version).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:14 PM   #30
michaywood
macrumors newbie

haha, love the title of the image in the post. Eric, you def are now famous on the interwebs!
michaywood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:14 PM   #31
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Nobody uses FaceTime

And not everyone has an iPhone
Next time I'm on FaceTime with my mother, who doesn't own an iPhone, I'll let her know this. Ta!

When Apple released FaceTime I thought they said they were going to open up the protocol for others to use, and also they were going to develop a Windows version of FaceTime. Both are seriously needed. Plus an Android version.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:17 PM   #32
b166er
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
Next time I'm on FaceTime with my mother, who doesn't own an iPhone, I'll let her know this. Ta!

When Apple released FaceTime I thought they said they were going to open up the protocol for others to use, and also they were going to develop a Windows version of FaceTime. Both are seriously needed. Plus an Android version.
I agree 100% but Apple will never develop a facetime app for Android or WP8. A third party could if Apple ever opened it up like they said they would.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:17 PM   #33
gotluck
macrumors 68040

wow, I guess it is good I never deleted my long neglected facebook account.

A useful feature!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:19 PM   #34
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
Skype is going down...
They only want it to look that way so that the phone companies don't realize what is happening till it's to late.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Ballis
macrumors 6502

They should integrate it in the regular facebook app. Or better yet, into the iOS dialer just like FaceTime.
Ballis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #36
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

Competition for Skype, nice. Now if only I used my facebook account regularly, then I'd find it useful. Maybe I'll have to give this a try.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #37
Slim02
macrumors 6502

Why do people keep saying FaceTime? Because if you READ IT RIGHT, IT SAYS VOICE CALL NOT VIDEO CALL.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:28 PM   #38
powers74
macrumors 68000

Nice. I'm ditching facebook next month anyway. So whatever for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Instant messaging and voice/video calls are the broken parts of the Internet. Why can't everyone use the same protocols instead of locking down their users?

I can email anyone from any operating system to anyone else on any other operating system and they'll be able to receive it.

Also, what happened to Steve Jobs' promise to open up the FaceTime protocol?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post

I've been wondering this myself. Maybe they did and just nobody jumping on board?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:29 PM   #39
s1m
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Nobody uses FaceTime

And not everyone has an iPhone

----------

Given this is an iOS app related function there might be a requirement for an iOS based device at either end...
s1m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:34 PM   #40
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Plus the fact that Skype holds a connection better than FaceTime does is pretty emberassing for Apple. My sister told me about it when she tried iPhone 5 to iPhone 5 with her friend, I thought it must have been a rare problem but then I tried with my iPhone 4S and the connection kept cutting out with an error message. Tried Skype right after, no error messages or black screens, the video might have been a bit choppy but it kept the connection at least.
Having used FaceTime since the iPhone 4 came out. I never had any problem relating to FaceTime, I have found Skype calls are actually very low quality compared to FaceTime, but that's just me.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:37 PM   #41
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

I can see it (or hear it) now....

"Congratulations! You've talked for over 5 minuets! Share with your friends."

I frigg''n hate Facebook!
Popeye206 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:40 PM   #42
Rich101088
macrumors newbie

But i have people on Facebook that i dont want calling me, who might want to call me, e.g people i dont give my number to because theyd call me. This blows that right out of the water.
Rich101088 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:44 PM   #43
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich101088 View Post
But i have people on Facebook that i dont want calling me, who might want to call me, e.g people i dont give my number to because theyd call me. This blows that right out of the water.
Well atleast you know whos calling then. Just dont answer.
Ballis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:44 PM   #44
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Don't see why they didn't just put this feature in the original FB app
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:47 PM   #45
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
FaceTime is not yet cross-platform. I believe that was Apple's original goal, to build it on a protocol that other platforms could utilize, but I've yet to see a third-party integration of FaceTime. Have you seen such a thing
I doubt Apple would give third parties access to FaceTime APIs for free. It was probably one of the deals like the Lightning connector where a developer has to pay a licensing fee to Apple to use the technology. To which the third parties likely responded by giving Apple the finger.

Apple could've gotten away with it if FaceTime was the only good video calling option, but solid video calling apps are a dime a dozen and FaceTime really doesn't do anything that the others don't already do. In fact, some of the other free services do things FaceTime can't like be cross-platform and allow for a video call with more than two people simultaneously.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:48 PM   #46
tasset
macrumors 6502

I'm curious to try this, not that I'll make routine use of it though.

For what it's worth having used Skype and other Voip apps, including Google Voice/Talk, none are worthwhile on 3G. Now on LTE, they are much more consistent. But sadly do suffer in reliability and words dropping out in the middle of calls. What has surprised me is that FaceTime, given it streams video calls, has been much more consistent in my usage even driving 65 mph down the highway (yes I have it on the side, not taking my eyes of the road..)
tasset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #47
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalderoni View Post
Another thing to add to the 'download archive of your Facebook data'? "Download all past calls and voice mails..." that have been conveniently recorded for you.
First thought with the privacy policy issues with Facebook and their Instagram. No thanks.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:05 PM   #48
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

It's tempting for me to try, but they reality is that everyone I want to do a video call with I can already reach via FaceTime or Skype. Secondly, since I'm on the Verizon Share Everything plan and have unlimited minutes, the voice calling doesn't really appeal to me, either.

I think I'll pass on this app for those reasons and also because I don't trust Facebook not to put a picture of me on a video call with a can of Coke in my hand in an ad for Coke on their website.

Imagine if Facebook developed an algorithm to scan these video calls for products and then went to the manufacturers of those products and said, "We'll sell you advertising on our site that will include pictures of real people using your stuff!" Facebook has to monetize mobile, and maybe that's one way they could do it. Then, they wouldn't have to depend on users to "Like" things for them to show up in their friends' sponsored links section.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:09 PM   #49
Cali Fornia
macrumors regular

Enabled in Austria already as well.
Cali Fornia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:12 PM   #50
CShort
macrumors regular

Bad for carriers

Surely carriers are going to want to drop iPhones.
Windows Phone is controlling the VoIP experience with carriers so that makes WP more attractive. I expect carriers to change what phones they are pushing if this takes off and eats into their revenue.

------------

By the way I can't see how this is competition for skype when it will call Skype users and when the desktop version of facebook is just a link to Skype. I have a feeling that this is actually Skype integrated into the app.
CShort is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion