Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502

Mac Mini for HT server

looking to pick up a used Mac Mini for Home Theater use only. I would like to connect it via TB to HDMI adapter to my Receiver. A few questions.
1 Will there be any problem with the TB to HDMI adapter,will it carry video and audio to receiver?
2 Is there anyway to control Mac Mini wirelessly via my MBA?
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
looking to pick up a used Mac Mini for Home Theater use only. I would like to connect it via TB to HDMI adapter to my Receiver. A few questions.
1 Will there be any problem with the TB to HDMI adapter,will it carry video and audio to receiver?
Yes.
Quote:
2 Is there anyway to control Mac Mini wirelessly via my MBA?
You could control the mini from the MBA with Screen Sharing. I prefer to use Plex for managing and delivering movies, TV shows and music videos to my HDTV from my mini. I control Plex with my iPhone, using the Plex app for mobile.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes.

You could control the mini from the MBA with Screen Sharing. I prefer to use Plex for managing and delivering movies, TV shows and music videos to my HDTV from my mini. I control Plex with my iPhone, using the Plex app for mobile.
Not familiar with Plex, but will look into it.
Just noticed new Mac Mini has HDMI and a 500 gig HD for $600 I may just buy new. I currently use ATV to get Movies off my MBA but only having a 128SSD I keep all my movies on a External HDD. So i must physically move movies to iTunes and delete when finished. Kind of a PITA. Thanks for the input.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:25 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Not familiar with Plex, but will look into it.
Just noticed new Mac Mini has HDMI and a 500 gig HD for $600 I may just buy new. I currently use ATV to get Movies off my MBA but only having a 128SSD I keep all my movies on a External HDD. So i must physically move movies to iTunes and delete when finished. Kind of a PITA. Thanks for the input.
I prefer Plex because it plays more file types than iTunes, has a better interface, automatically downloads movie posters and metadata, will manage files from multiple internal and external and networked drives, and can play content on most devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, iPads, iPhones, Android, etc. I haven't tried using it with an ATV, but I understand it's possible to make it work with one.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater