Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:13 PM   #1
mcsolas
macrumors regular

RAM failed a test, should I return it?

I just am setting up a new mini. I ordered 16gb ram from OWC and just dropped it in. I ran a memory test ( http://www.kelleycomputing.net/Rember/ ) and it failed the first and second test I ran in the same place.

The test threw this error:
Quote:
Block Sequential : (trimmed).... setting 113 of 256testing 113 of 256

FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x0000000165b834c0, BUFB address 0x00000002a2d17cc0
BUFA Data: 0x7070707070707070, BUFB Data: 0x7070707060707070
What does this "block sequential" failure mean?
Is there another memory test worth running?

Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM | iPhone 3GS

Last edited by mcsolas; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
mcsolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

YES -- return it. No reason to put up with less-than-fully-working RAM.

Aside: I, too, have bought RAM from OWC and had it go south on me.

I don't see the name mentioned here often, but I've bought RAM the last couple of times from datamem.com and never had any problems with it. The price isn't much higher than "the usual sources"...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I'd return it...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:13 AM   #4
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
YES -- return it. No reason to put up with less-than-fully-working RAM.

Aside: I, too, have bought RAM from OWC and had it go south on me.

I don't see the name mentioned here often, but I've bought RAM the last couple of times from datamem.com and never had any problems with it. The price isn't much higher than "the usual sources"...
I have just joined the forum and the name popped up a lot so I just decided to try them out. I am bummed because I travel in 2 days with the machine and thus.. back to the factory 4 gb for me at least for now.

I wish I had done a little more checking around because I realized that crucial has what appears to be an equivalent 16gb setup on their site for 20 bucks less than what I paid. I have seen them recommended a lot in the forums and most likely will give it another shot with that memory instead.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsolas View Post
I just am setting up a new mini. I ordered 16gb ram from OWC and just dropped it in. I ran a memory test ( http://www.kelleycomputing.net/Rember/ ) and it failed the first and second test I ran in the same place.

The test threw this error:

What does this "block sequential" failure mean?
Is there another memory test worth running?
You can also run other tests which can be found in our Mac Guides, Testing RAM. But if it failed even once, I'd exchange the chip for a different one.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
You can also run other tests which can be found in our Mac Guides, Testing RAM. But if it failed even once, I'd exchange the chip for a different one.
Thank you for that link, I am going to try running memtest to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #7
designs216
macrumors 65816

I got some bad RAM from them previously and they were quick to cross ship a replacement. I think OWC tries very hard to get the customer sat thing right.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
I got some bad RAM from them previously and they were quick to cross ship a replacement. I think OWC tries very hard to get the customer sat thing right.
I am not familiar with cross shipping, I will have to look into it. If I wasnt going on the road for a few months this weekend.. it would be less complicated. I dont think I have time for any type of replacement, so it looks like I am stuck with the factory 4 for now.

It looks like they are trying like you said, I filled out an RMA request and they responded in 10 minutes! At least that was a relief as I am somewhat pressed for time right now.

It passed the block sequential test in memtest right now, but it threw two errors after that during the Checkerboard and Bit Spread tests.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I am not familiar with cross shipping, I will have to look into it. If I wasnt going on the road for a few months this weekend.. it would be less complicated. I dont think I have time for any type of replacement, so it looks like I am stuck with the factory 4 for now.

It looks like they are trying like you said, I filled out an RMA request and they responded in 10 minutes! At least that was a relief as I am somewhat pressed for time right now.

It passed the block sequential test in memtest right now, but it threw two errors after that during the Checkerboard and Bit Spread tests.
Cross shipping usually means that they ship you the replacement before getting yours back. Belkin did this for my iPad case. If they don't get the defective item back within a certain time period they charge you for it.
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:27 PM   #10
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Based on my dealings with OWC, you can at least count on a speedy refund.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Black.Infinity
macrumors 6502

there is a chance of future failure so return it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:26 PM   #12
throAU
macrumors 68030

yes. failed ram test = bad ram. even if it only happens "sometimes", it is not good enough.

It happens, whatever brand you buy sometimes you get a dud stick. OWC shouldn't give you any problems with replacement.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:20 PM   #13
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
I have bought memory from OWC with no returns for a number of years. I have been very happy with them. I have purchased memory from them for powerbooks, MacBook Pro, White MacBook, and iMac.

I even called them on my iMac as I was confused about paired memery.
DesignerOnMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:47 PM   #14
kohlson
macrumors regular

I suspect you were asked to run Rember by OWC tech support. I had 2x4GB purchased from them on a machine that was flaking (gray screen of death). They asked me to run this, and sure enough, the memory flunked. It was not a quick return, but I was not in a hurry.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:25 AM   #15
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlson View Post
I suspect you were asked to run Rember by OWC tech support.
Rember was recommended to me in another thread. later in this thread the link to testing ram had some suggestions. the memtest option was free so I ran that just to make sure it wasnt software related, as I was still hoping it 'would work' as in my particular situation be much preferred of an option either way its about to get dropped in the mail. Ram sticks being faulty are a pretty common issue, it happens. I feel confident in my dealings with OWC, especially after hearing about others positive experiences with them. Assuming the return goes as planned, this will not affect any decisions on future purchases.

Last edited by mcsolas; Jan 18, 2013 at 08:31 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice