Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 3, 2005, 08:26 PM   #1
The Red Menace
macrumors member

I am about to send in my iBook, w applecare, for a 3rd party HD upgrade. am I nuts?

Now I have seen a lot of people talk about doing this but has anyone actually done it? I am going to send my Mac to a company that will put in a 80GB drive and send it back to me, voiding my HD warranty. However the new Hitachi drive has a three year warranty. Any last words, cautions, anything? BTW, my iBook only has the 30GB drive, thats why I am taking this step.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 08:33 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

How much longer have you got on your Apple warrantee? You will be foregoing this for sure if you don't go to an Apple certified technician and even if you go to a specified Apple service centre, may still void the warrantee.

Nevertheless, I'd do it. In fact, I did it. I replaced my 30GB internal with an 80Gb one two years ago and haven't had any problems since.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
AJ Muni
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to AJ Muni
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Menace
Now I have seen a lot of people talk about doing this but has anyone actually done it? I am going to send my Mac to a company that will put in a 80GB drive and send it back to me, voiding my HD warranty. However the new Hitachi drive has a three year warranty. Any last words, cautions, anything? BTW, my iBook only has the 30GB drive, thats why I am taking this step.
i had the same ibook as you...and WAS GOING TO DO THE SAME THING...but to a 100gb..but i sold the SAME EXACT ibook u have on ebay for $890, and saved up another $600 and just got the pb in my sig. (it was gonna cost me $280 to put the HD in) so i figured save up sme $$, and get a better machine....

Think about it...
and yes ur nuts, cuz u bought the apple care, just buy an external HD
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:51 PM   #4
kugino
macrumors 6502a

i replaced the 30gb drive in my ibook with an 80gb one (did it myself)...i recently got the logic board replaced on my ibook and they didn't mention the hard drive at all...in fact, they didn't even know i had opened the casing of my ibook.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs