Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Gizmotoy
macrumors 6502a

iTunes Match and Local Matched Song Syncing

I recently signed up for iTunes Match and got decent results for my library. Using some guides online, I then used iTunes to replace some of my lower quality CD rips from back in the 128kbps days to Matched M4As.

When I then sync my iOS devices, I noticed that these new matched copies did not sync automatically via iTunes. In fact, they showed up as greyed-out entries in the Music app (iOS 6).

I can turn on iTunes Match on the device and download them from the store no problem, but what happens if I stop subscribing to Match? Will iTunes refuse to locally sync the Match M4As if I let my subscription lapse? I'm starting to think replacing my old copies wasn't such a good idea.

Did any early adopters let their subscription lapse? What has your experience been?
Gizmotoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 PM   #2
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Not to be too far off topic, what online guides did you use.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Not to be too far off topic, what online guides did you use.
Here's a good one from Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163...atch_fast.html

OP, syncing it basically turned off if you have Match enabled. Why not just use Match on your iOS devices? I still have Match so I can't test syncing matched songs, but I can say I've synced matched songs to my wife's iPhone just fine.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Gizmotoy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Here's a good one from Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163...atch_fast.html

OP, syncing it basically turned off if you have Match enabled. Why not just use Match on your iOS devices? I still have Match so I can't test syncing matched songs, but I can say I've synced matched songs to my wife's iPhone just fine.
I hadn't enabled Match on my device, so it was still syncing locally.

The point was, as I mentioned, can you sync downloaded Matched songs after your subscription lapses if you've replaced your originals with Matched tracks?

If you were able to sync a matched track to another iPhone I would think I'd be ok and it was just some weirdness with the process. I was just worried that since I replaced my library with matched tracks I'd be locked in to the service indefinitely.
Gizmotoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services