Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1
holabola
macrumors newbie

CandyBar Dock Theming Working on OS X 10.8

Well, I am a complete noob when it comes to OS X, as I am a veteran Windows user, and for the first time, I heard of the program CandyBar. I read that it is free now because of the fact that it cannot theme docks on 10.8, and that no program can. Well, after a lot of tinkering (Nothing more than installing programs), I have it to the point where CandyBar changes dock themes as if it were running on 10.6 or 10.7. Would anyone be interested in knowing how I did it, because it seems like no one does xD? (I can post screenshots too if you want. Or a video. And I also have a cool compilation of a bunch of icons I've downloaded I can provide as a CandyBar pack too. Includes Spotify, Parallels, Chrome, and a bunch of others, as well as system icons.)

Edit 1: Screenshot on Fourth Post

Edit 2: Ddyracer confirmed (Which I also confirmed) that this only changes the separators and whatever else is in the dock area (Sorry, I don't know these things yet xD), not the dock color, and the dock color change to black was due to the Unsanity Mod (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495519). Sorry if I misled anyone I'm a nooby :P.

Last edited by holabola; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
holabola is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Sounds like you're fishing.

Why not share what you want to share?
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
holabola
macrumors newbie

Because I can't pinpoint exactly what I did. I installed a lot of things, and I'm not sure which one did it, because in the end, I was playing with icons, and for fun, tried to change the dock, and to my surprise, it worked. I was just curious if anyone was interested and I could go back and try to figure out exactly what it was (Or I could just post what I did.)
holabola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:13 AM   #4
holabola
macrumors newbie

Here's a snapshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 12.16.03 AM.png
Views:	493
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	390746  
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

How? Will it work with any dock I want? I have to use a hack in order to change mine and can only make it black.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:07 AM   #6
b0fh666
macrumors regular

looking good
b0fh666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Last edited by fisherking; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
fisherking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
holabola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
How? Will it work with any dock I want? I have to use a hack in order to change mine and can only make it black.
You can use any dock you want (Well, I have tried about 5 in CandyBar, and they have all worked flawlessly.) Would any of you guys be willing to try a few things I did to make this work? I installed about 5/6 different things, and I'm not sure which combination of them made this work, but I can't really test it myself, since I already did it xD
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Fine, I'll bite since no one else will.

That looks great. How did you do it?
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 AM   #10
holabola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
Fine, I'll bite since no one else will.

That looks great. How did you do it?
Well, I first, I had read a forum article about using DockDesigner to change it. Here is the link to the download:
http://www.moritzwette.com/dockdesig...?forcedownload

What I did was, I opened it, clicked the 3D tab, and hit "NO" under transparent dock. The forum article then said you could place a custom dock image into it now, but it didn't work for me. I was sad, but moved on.

Next, these were more along the modding of the menu bar, but I downloaded a menu bar mod from this website:
http://levantinlynx.com/

Which I ended up reverting back to normal.

Last, I installed a dock mod to make it turn black from this forum post.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495519

It worked, and I was happy, so I started playing with my Icons in CandyBar for the first time. I had downloaded some docks not knowing the didn't work earlier that day, so for fun, I decided to apply one. To my surprise, it worked!

Hopefully this may prove helpful to some of you guys. I think it was the first thing I did, but, I really can't pinpoint it to be exact. Thanks for reading
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by holabola View Post
Well, I first, I had read a forum article about using DockDesigner to change it. Here is the link to the download:

What I did was, I opened it, clicked the 3D tab, and hit "NO" under transparent dock. The forum article then said you could place a custom dock image into it now, but it didn't work for me. I was sad, but moved on.

Next, these were more along the modding of the menu bar, but I downloaded a menu bar mod from this website:

It worked, and I was happy, so I started playing with my Icons in CandyBar for the first time. I had downloaded some docks not knowing the didn't work earlier that day, so for fun, I decided to apply one. To my surprise, it worked!

Hopefully this may prove helpful to some of you guys. I think it was the first thing I did, but, I really can't pinpoint it to be exact. Thanks for reading

I see. I'm sorry if this seems like an incredibly stupid question, but I've been a Windows user all my life til 2 weeks ago. What is CandyBar?
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I see. I'm sorry if this seems like an incredibly stupid question, but I've been a Windows user all my life til 2 weeks ago. What is CandyBar?
http://www.panic.com/blog/2012/08/ca...on-and-beyond/

now free
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:18 PM   #13
holabola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I was the same way as you xD Basically, it is a very simple, easy to use, and great application to skin icons, your dock, and more. Great application, and it's FREE!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Ok, you just confirmed it for me that this doesn't work, which i kinda was expecting. I changed my dock using the same Hack method. Then you just found some indicators you liked and you swapped them in Candybar, which you can change btw, and voila!

Don't mislead people like me, i thought this was a freaking fix to change whatever color you want.

I know that hack works. And i know how to change my indicators and the separator.

Dock designer did nothing so this means you still can't change the color except black thanks to unsanity hack.

Last edited by Ddyracer; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:10 PM   #15
holabola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
Ok, you just confirmed it for me that this doesn't work, which i kinda was expecting. I changed my dock using the same Hack method. Then you just found some indicators you liked and you swapped them in Candybar, which you can change btw, and voila!

Don't mislead people like me, i thought this was a freaking fix to change whatever color you want.

I know that hack works. And i know how to change my indicators and the separator.

Dock designer did nothing so this means you still can't change the color except black thanks to unsanity hack.
Just tested it. You're right :P Sorry, the only docks I had downloaded were black, so I didn't know xD Like I said, I'm a complete Apple nooby, so I wasn't trying to mislead people I also made an edit on the first post to let everyone know the information you gave down in this post

Last edited by holabola; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Just tested it. You're right :P Sorry, the only docks I had downloaded were black, so I didn't know xD Like I said, I'm a complete Apple nooby, so I wasn't trying to mislead people I also made an edit on the first post to let everyone know the information you gave down in this post
Thank you very much mate your a good guy. Sorry for ragging you, just was really frustrated, i like customizing.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:20 PM   #17
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Here's a snapshot.
Just wondering. What are those icons on your menubar?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:55 AM   #18
holabola
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10 View Post
Just wondering. What are those icons on your menubar?
Might as well respond six months later xD. They are random ones I liked that I pulled off Deviantart.
holabola is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion