Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Tofray
macrumors regular

Ethernet Issue...Wireless=25/Mbps; Ethernet=2.5/Mbps

My Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless N router was connected to my PC via ethernet, and was getting around 25/Mbps consistently. My iMac was connected wirelessly and was still getting around 23-24/Mbps.

I decided I was going to connect the modem/router to the iMac, via ethernet, and now I'm only getting 2.5/Mbps. I've checked the connections 3 times, have scoured over the router manual and Netgear website, and can't figure it out. I've gone over my router settings line by line, and they look perfectly normal. My ping is only 9, whereas on wireless it was around 30.

Also, in Network Utility, my Link Speed shows as 1 Gbit/s...Is that right? I always thought it was 10 or 10/100.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Tofray; Jan 17, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Tofray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofray View Post
My Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless N router was connected to my PC via ethernet, and was getting around 25/Mbps consistently. My iMac was connected wirelessly and was still getting around 23-24/Mbps.

I decided I was going to connect the modem/router to the iMac, via ethernet, and now I'm only getting 2.5/Mbps. I've checked the connections 3 times, have scoured over the router manual and Netgear website, and can't figure it out. I've gone over my router settings line by line, and they look perfectly normal. My ping is only 9, whereas on wireless it was around 30.

Also, in Network Utility, my Link Speed shows as 1 Gbit/s...Is that right? I always thought it was 10 or 10/100.

Anyone have any ideas?
Bad cable
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:40 AM   #3
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

Trying a different cable is a good start.

Next - Check the configs on the router itself and make sure everything looks alright.
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:33 AM   #4
glintoz
macrumors newbie

Speed & Duplex Settings

Try a different port on the router.

Also, make sure that the ports on each end of the link are set to auto-negotiate link speed and duplex. If you get a duplex mismatch you will end up with a low data rate.

If the speed is wrong usually the link doesn't come up at all.

Otherwise probably a bad cable.
glintoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Tofray
macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll try some new Ethernet cables. Could it be a bad coaxial cable too? (I'm on broadband)

When I installed the modem/router, I tucked all of it underneath my desk and tried to hide them all. In doing so, they are definitely kinked up tightly, so maybe I'll loosen them up and see if it makes a difference.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofray View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll try some new Ethernet cables. Could it be a bad coaxial cable too? (I'm on broadband)

When I installed the modem/router, I tucked all of it underneath my desk and tried to hide them all. In doing so, they are definitely kinked up tightly, so maybe I'll loosen them up and see if it makes a difference.
If the broadband was the problem you would get the same bad speeds on both wired and wireless.

Another thing you can do is see what link speed your Mac is negotiating the wired connection. From terminal;

ifconfig en0 | grep media

result;
media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>)

Output might show that your link is negotiated at the wrong speed or at half duplex in which case you have a bad cable or an incompatibility between switch and Mac.

You also might have errors on the interface;

netstat -e | grep en0

and see if you have iERRs or oERRS
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Tofray
macrumors regular

Man, I feel like such a dummy...After spending hours researching the problem online, going line by line on each router configuration, reading the router/modem manuals twice, and then ultimately changing every single ethernet & coaxial cable, I realized what an idiot I am...

I was using a cable splitter to split the cable to my TV & modem, and realized that I plugged the cable from the wall into an "out" plug instead of the "in" plug on the splitter. So all the "rechecking" of the wires I did was basically to look at the same problem over and over, without recognizing or changing it. I didn't think that would be the culprit, as I assumed I wouldn't get any signal at all if the ports were mixed up. But there ya go..

Thanks for the help, people, and sorry to waste your time.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac