Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1
timmygee
macrumors newbie

Apple TV to existing setup

Hi all. I want to buy an Apple TV but am slightly confused about the potential setup.

My current system is a SONY HDTV connected via RCA to AUX of my Technics Amp which the TV sounds great through some Spirit speakers.

Here's what I want to do: Use my Sony HDTV and Technics Amp to be able to stream music, video & internet browsing from my iPad & my PC with iTunes. I would also like the ability to use stereos and/or airplay speakers in other rooms around the house to play from iTunes.

Is it possible to do all this with an Apple TV and what is the best & easiest way to connect this into my existing setup with the TV & amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
timmygee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:51 AM   #2
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I know absolutely nothing about Technics (or any kind of) amps, but I'm assuming here it doesn't have HDMI in & out sockets.

If not, I'd connect the ATV via HDMI directly to your TV. The sound would then output via the existing RCA to the amp. Alternatively, you could also connect the ATV via optic cable directly to the amp, though that might add the additional step of having to switch audio inputs every time you switch between TV/cable and the ATV. Using the optic cables should provide better sound and (where applicable) surround sound.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

I agree is there any reason you are using RCA connections and not HDMI? I thought HD tvs, even the old tube 720p kind had at least 1 or 2 HDMI connections? You will need to get an adapter for ATV, because it connects via HDMI
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a

Well since it<s an amp it might be an old AMP without HDMI

Cuz he would have to plug ATV to AMP to TV
Ratatapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #5
hallux
macrumors 65816

If your TV has HDMI, absolutely. My setup is below, works great for video/audio streaming from a Mac or iPad and sending the sound through the surround speakers.

ATV to TV using HDMI, TV to RCA receiver using optical output from TV to optical input on the receiver.

I also have my cable box connected to my TV using HDMI.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
timmygee
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, my Technics amp is indeed old (but very good). But it does not have an HDMI connection. The TV has 3 HDMI connections.

I currently go from the TV with an RCA connection into the AUX of the amp.

So can anyone answer the part about streaming to other speakers/stereos around the house? Do I need an airport express to do this or will the Apple TV do the same job?
timmygee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater