Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Hey guys,

So I spilt some Coke on my desk, and a tiny bit of it has got into my lock button on my iPhone 5. The button works...but not as well as it did, you have to noticeably press it, sometimes you press it and it doesn't lock and I end up putting in my pocket then it starts going crazy!

The nearest Apple store is a good few hours away and I don't want to go there... is there anything I can do to ease it up a bit?

Many thanks :)
Kirk.

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys,

So I spilt some Pepsi Coke on my desk, and a tiny bit of it has got into my lock button on my iPhone 5. The button works...but not as well as it did, you have to noticeably press it, sometimes you press it and it doesn't lock and I end up putting in my pocket then it starts going crazy!

The nearest Apple store is a good few hours away and I don't want to go there... is there anything I can do to ease it up a bit?

Many thanks :)
Kirk.

Without disassembling the phone, not that I know of.

And what is Pepsi Coke? Those are two different drinks..

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Without disassembling the phone, not that I know of.

And what is Pepsi Coke? Those are two different drinks..

Hmm thats annoying! Thanks anyway..

Oh I did write Pepsi Coke, I actually spilt pepsi but was going to write coke, I imagine it'd be better for the search engines.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
You can pour a little bit of 99% isopropyl in there and press the button emphatically to dislodge the stickiness. Do this with the phone off and let it dry for about 30 minutes.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hmm thats annoying! Thanks anyway..

Oh I did write Pepsi Coke, I actually spilt pepsi but was going to write coke, I imagine it'd be better for the search engines.

Ah ok, that makes sense :D

What the other user may work, but I'd be very careful with how much you use. Maybe even dip a q-tip in it and apply it around the button, so just enough gets in. And yes, if you do attempt this have the phone off and let it dry for a while. But be careful

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Ah ok, that makes sense :D

What the other user may work, but I'd be very careful with how much you use. Maybe even dip a q-tip in it and apply it around the button, so just enough gets in. And yes, if you do attempt this have the phone off and let it dry for a while. But be careful

You don't have to worry about how much you use - the panel is laminated and they LCD and digitiser is part of the glass so the alcohol won't seep in and damage the screen, while the alcohol doesn't conduct electricity or promote rust so it will be fine to have inside the phone. The reason for the wait is the Pepsi, which will conduct.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
You don't have to worry about how much you use - the panel is laminated and they LCD and digitiser is part of the glass so the alcohol won't seep in and damage the screen, while the alcohol doesn't conduct electricity or promote rust so it will be fine to have inside the phone. The reason for the wait is the Pepsi, which will conduct.

Hi there, thanks so much for your advice,

Will this stuff work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WGTZ6M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

So I basically spray a little on the lock button and hold down pretty forcefully, then leave it turned off for around 30mins?

It's always scary doing things like this to something so expensive!

Thank you though!!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Hi there, thanks so much for your advice,

Will this stuff work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WGTZ6M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

So I basically spray a little on the lock button and hold down pretty forcefully, then leave it turned off for around 30mins?

It's always scary doing things like this to something so expensive!

Thank you though!!

Sorry about the hella late reply.

I'd just got a drugstore and get 99% isopropyl. The lower the alcohol content, the higher chance of damaging it seriously. Just pour maybe enough to cover the bottom of the cap into the button while the phone is off and press the button loads (click it a lot) and wait some time (half an hour or longer) then turn it back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.