Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Hello. My wife bought me an ipad mini from apple.com. She used her bill me later account to pay for it and we used my iTunes account to log onto apple. The order went through but I got a email from billmelater yesterday saying that the order did not go through since the name on my iTunes account did not match the name on the billmelater account.

Obviously, I thought apple would cancel the order. We planned to reorder the mini and have my wife use her own iTunes account. To my surprise, Apple shipped the mini this morning.

How can I fix this? Billmelater says that Apple needs to resubmit the order. I called Apple and was told that everything looked ok on their end. I really don't think it's the moral thing to do so I want to know the best way I can pay for this. Apple does have my credit card details from my iTunes account so they can use that to make the payment. I do not want to get charged twice and I don't want to get my account banned for just a miscommunication. Thanks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would call Apple with your credit card ready. I applaud your honesty.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
When I called this morning, the woman said that it showed as paid and she would not accept my credit card. I may give it another day and call back again to see if their system is updated.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
When I called this morning, the woman said that it showed as paid and she would not accept my credit card. I may give it another day and call back again to see if their system is updated.
Make notes of whom you spoke to when and then let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks. Yes, it can really take that long for them to get this straightened out between them.

Also, check your credit card during this time, it really could have gone through somehow.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Maybe you got charged and it's just not on your statement yet? That happened to me recently. Most people would just be like "**** ya! free ipad!". Good job OP.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Make notes of whom you spoke to when and then let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks. Yes, it can really take that long for them to get this straightened out between them.

Also, check your credit card during this time, it really could have gone through somehow.

I've seen it take some time with iPhone pre-orders. My card was charged immediately, then the money was returned a day or two later, then taken again when they shipped it.

As others have said just keep an eye on your card (and don't spend the money ;)).

Great job in trying to make the situation right. Seems to be rare these days.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure I wasn't charged because bill me later told me they denied it since the account details didn't match. I will sit on it a few days and try to resolve it again. Thanks for the advice.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

You tried to pay, they wouldn't let you so youve done more than most.

Give the money to charity instead, apple wont miss it.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
You told them about it and they rejected your money. I dont see anymore reason to try with them. Keep it. Its THEIR responsibility to worry about this now, not yours. Are they going to pay you anything for your continued efforts of babysitting them?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Wait

I got a statement that showed no charge for something I had ordered. I checked online to get the latest list of charges and it was not there either.

So I called the vendor up and, like you and Apple, he said it looked fine on his end. I insisted that I never got charged for it, so he charged it over the phone.

So next month rolls along, the next statement came and of course now two charges were on there. The first one even had an "effective date" that placed it at the correct original time.

I'm not saying my case is your case, but give it some time to be sure. These things CAN take some time to sort out in the back end.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I agree, do nothing

I once ordered food from a restaurant on Visa. 3 weeks later it still hasn't shown up and then the day after that the charge showed up. I appreciate you being honest but it will likely result in a double charge eventually.

Tsikura

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
New York
Usually it's not about doing the honest thing. It's more about not being bent over backwards when the charges comes through in the future. Better to fix it than to have credit problem arise, double billing, etc.

If some time pass and they still don't give a damn, congrats on a free ipad.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Take the free mini, they rob us enough I applaud payback like this.

Rob us enough?

You don't have to buy anything you don't want to. You do have a choice.

OP, good job for trying to get this worked out. I applaud you as well.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Usually it's not about doing the honest thing. It's more about not being bent over backwards when the charges comes through in the future. Better to fix it than to have credit problem arise, double billing, etc.

If some time pass and they still don't give a damn, congrats on a free ipad.

Makes no sense. You assume too much. If you know a $500 charge is pending dont keep spending.

Tsikura

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
New York
Makes no sense. You assume too much. If you know a $500 charge is pending dont keep spending.

And you don't know what I'm trying to point out. People trying to fix billing issues is not always about being honest. There ARE idiots that would think they got away with a free ipad only to get a surprise hit later.

I go by experience and it's the norm when dealing with the average consumer. If he's truly being honest, good on him.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Could Apple tell you how it was billed? Maybe it defaulted to the credit card on your iTunes account rather than to the bill me later account? You may want to check that card to see if it was billed there.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hello. My wife bought me an ipad mini from apple.com. She used her bill me later account to pay for it and we used my iTunes account to log onto apple. The order went through but I got a email from billmelater yesterday saying that the order did not go through since the name on my iTunes account did not match the name on the billmelater account.

Obviously, I thought apple would cancel the order. We planned to reorder the mini and have my wife use her own iTunes account. To my surprise, Apple shipped the mini this morning.

How can I fix this? Billmelater says that Apple needs to resubmit the order. I called Apple and was told that everything looked ok on their end. I really don't think it's the moral thing to do so I want to know the best way I can pay for this. Apple does have my credit card details from my iTunes account so they can use that to make the payment. I do not want to get charged twice and I don't want to get my account banned for just a miscommunication. Thanks.

I am often accused of being on my "high horse". So from this position, I am so happy to be looking UP at you, thetruth1985, and your wonderfully honest and ethical position.

So often the get-away-with-what-you-can attitude prevails here, and elsewhere...but you are making an effort to be honest and aboveboard.

For what it is worth, I compliment you and want you to know you have really made my day.

Thank you...:D

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I am often accused of being on my "high horse". So from this position, I am so happy to be looking UP at you, thetruth1985, and your wonderfully honest and ethical position.

So often the get-away-with-what-you-can attitude prevails here, and elsewhere...but you are making an effort to be honest and aboveboard.

For what it is worth, I compliment you and want you to know you have really made my day.

Thank you...:D

You sound like you need one of these after your emotional speech.

Kleenex.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.