Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
benb89
macrumors newbie

Permission Query

When it comes to downloading apps in the app store, how come we have no real idea of what the app has permission to do?

I know you can set certain permissions in the new privacy built in to ios 6 but what else do apps have permission to see/use? Browsing history? Messages? I know in android it tells you straight up what the app wants access to?

I have been searching for a real answer to this and only came across the privacy policy tab on some apps, however some can be a bit shady?
benb89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb89 View Post
When it comes to downloading apps in the app store, how come we have no real idea of what the app has permission to do?

I know you can set certain permissions in the new privacy built in to ios 6 but what else do apps have permission to see/use? Browsing history? Messages? I know in android it tells you straight up what the app wants access to?

I have been searching for a real answer to this and only came across the privacy policy tab on some apps, however some can be a bit shady?
There's an app that was removed from the App store that will do this, it's since been converted to a web app and still works, can't remeber what it's called though.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:42 PM   #3
benb89
macrumors newbie

The app was 'clueful'. I am just curious about what apps can do without permission. I have both android and an iphone and I'm trying to decide which I prefer in means of being told what an app is doing or solely putting my trust in the apple App Store. Please could anyone give any advice
benb89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Small White Car
macrumors G3

As far as I know, everything that apps can access is listed in the iOS Privacy control panel.

Any developers here that know otherwise? There could be something I've never heard of.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone