Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShannonB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
We had a friend set up an application on our MacBook Pro. Since then, the friend is no longer in contact and I want to delete the application, but it's locked. In the application's Info box, it only allows me to "read only." Any ideas?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We had a friend set up an application on our MacBook Pro. Since then, the friend is no longer in contact and I want to delete the application, but it's locked. In the application's Info box, it only allows me to "read only." Any ideas?

You just need your admin password to change that. click on Sharing & Permissions and click on the padlock on the bottom right.

ShannonB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I've unlocked the Info bar, but every time I click on admin priviledges' "read only" and try to switch it to "read and write," it won't register the change...it keeps it as "read only."

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Pop up "The operation cannot be completed because the item is locked."

If you have an Admin password, you should be able to delete the application as follows:

1) Open Terminal (in Utilities).

2) Copy and paste the following into the Terminal window, but don't press return yet.

Code:
sudo rm -rf

3) Type a space or two at the end of the line you just pasted into Terminal.

3) Drag the application icon you wish to delete into the Terminal window. This will append the application's path to the command you pasted in.

4) Click on the Terminal window to make it active, and press return. Supply an admin password when requested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.