Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I'm beginning to frustrate to my iPad mini and iOS. By looking technical specs this is indeed bit pricey device, WiFi reception is not the greatest and now it seems that iTunes will not allow me to copy a movie file to my device, it says it cannot be played. App Store does have some video players so shouldn't they be able to play whatever format the movie is? Do I need to re-encode the movie to iPad spesific format? If so, this makes me miss the freedom of Android quite honestly, I did not need iTunes (which I hate, need to figure how to disable that syncing) and I was able to copy files freely, like Windows .exe -packages for use with Windows -machines even though Androd clearly does not understand them.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You'll want to download Handbrake and encode the movie in an iOS friendly version.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, was just Googling that it seems I need, my friend did mention something about this when he purchased his iPad 3. I do have decent PC so converting should not take too long, 640 x 480 resolution is enough in this case. I have used Handbrake before but just to make video files smaller than what my Android phone shoots.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
If you get an app that plays other formats (CineXPlayer, for instance), you can transfer movies into that app via iTunes (on the apps page in iTunes, at the bottom, you'll see a list of apps on the left that you can do file management with. Select your video app and then add the files to it from there.

It would be nice to just have a folder to dump things into as you pleased, but there are ways. Dropbox or box.net or such also work well for managing files without using iTunes, though a little unwieldy for movies.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks for the tip Jman13, I did not use the same app you mentioned, but what you said made me to understand how this whole thing works with iOS. This is my first iOS device and I have used it for only couple days. I used app called OPlayerHD which seems to work fine, no need to convert.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
i'm beginning to frustrate to my ipad mini and ios. By looking technical specs this is indeed bit pricey device, wifi reception is not the greatest and now it seems that itunes will not allow me to copy a movie file to my device, it says it cannot be played. App store does have some video players so shouldn't they be able to play whatever format the movie is? Do i need to re-encode the movie to ipad spesific format? If so, this makes me miss the freedom of android quite honestly, i did not need itunes (which i hate, need to figure how to disable that syncing) and i was able to copy files freely, like windows .exe -packages for use with windows -machines even though androd clearly does not understand them.

pebiau

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.