Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Cannot copy what I want my iPad Mini?

I'm beginning to frustrate to my iPad mini and iOS. By looking technical specs this is indeed bit pricey device, WiFi reception is not the greatest and now it seems that iTunes will not allow me to copy a movie file to my device, it says it cannot be played. App Store does have some video players so shouldn't they be able to play whatever format the movie is? Do I need to re-encode the movie to iPad spesific format? If so, this makes me miss the freedom of Android quite honestly, I did not need iTunes (which I hate, need to figure how to disable that syncing) and I was able to copy files freely, like Windows .exe -packages for use with Windows -machines even though Androd clearly does not understand them.
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:26 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

You'll want to download Handbrake and encode the movie in an iOS friendly version.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, was just Googling that it seems I need, my friend did mention something about this when he purchased his iPad 3. I do have decent PC so converting should not take too long, 640 x 480 resolution is enough in this case. I have used Handbrake before but just to make video files smaller than what my Android phone shoots.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Jman13
macrumors 65816

If you get an app that plays other formats (CineXPlayer, for instance), you can transfer movies into that app via iTunes (on the apps page in iTunes, at the bottom, you'll see a list of apps on the left that you can do file management with. Select your video app and then add the files to it from there.

It would be nice to just have a folder to dump things into as you pleased, but there are ways. Dropbox or box.net or such also work well for managing files without using iTunes, though a little unwieldy for movies.
Jman13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip Jman13, I did not use the same app you mentioned, but what you said made me to understand how this whole thing works with iOS. This is my first iOS device and I have used it for only couple days. I used app called OPlayerHD which seems to work fine, no need to convert.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
ManUMark
macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1524514

This recent thread covers your questions. iTunes seem to make it hard to load movies on the iPad (not bought from iStore) but with Handbrake its possible.
ManUMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUMark View Post
iTunes seem to make it hard to load movies on the iPad (not bought from iStore) but with Handbrake its possible.
There is nothing hard about it at all. The media just has to be in a format that the iPad will support.
brand is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:47 PM   #8
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotaccian View Post
i'm beginning to frustrate to my ipad mini and ios. By looking technical specs this is indeed bit pricey device, wifi reception is not the greatest and now it seems that itunes will not allow me to copy a movie file to my device, it says it cannot be played. App store does have some video players so shouldn't they be able to play whatever format the movie is? Do i need to re-encode the movie to ipad spesific format? If so, this makes me miss the freedom of android quite honestly, i did not need itunes (which i hate, need to figure how to disable that syncing) and i was able to copy files freely, like windows .exe -packages for use with windows -machines even though androd clearly does not understand them.
pebiau
midwestfisherma is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad