Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Have a little down time right now thought i would give a little write up.

I was on here before having some of you help decide between Macbook's. My use is a decktop replacement (although neve owned a DT) that gets heavy daily use in google chrome & microsoft office.

I needed a portable computer more so then a powerful one. I chose the 15R due to form factor, slim, lightweight and 15inch display. I did not purchase this because of the "retina" display.

Some may ask why i didn't look at the classic 15, in which i did but it is Much bigger and much heavier esp to cart around daily.

I will say this, Macrumors is a desease! haha, with so much talk about new models, IR etc... I felt like no purchase was the correct one. but im glad this forum exists, it has helped many people including me

SO, ON TO MY purchase and review.

Spent time at the store looking at the retinas they had on display (new store).

I tested 3 of 6 display models and they were all LG screens(didnt test the other 3). They all had IR after two minutes of the checkered board. Worried me, how old were these computers only a month? as the store opened in the beginning of dec.

Made the purchase way and ended up with an LG device.

I couldnt be any happier. I have been on this computer for 2 days straight now doing mainly word processing and the whole experience is simply amazing. I have used many computers in the past from windows 3.1 to now mac and Nothing comes close.

I am somewhat worried about the screen developing IR but Ill have to deal with that if and when it happens. I feel like I have no choice then to buy apple care as i plan on keeping this for years to come. (which sucks, because while the price is worth it.. the product should be 100% solid)

My bottom line is, I am now spoiled and this computer makes my work enjoyable.

Point of this post? If apple Manned up and offered their Retina customers a 2-3 warranty on JUST the retina displays I would recommend this computer to ANYONE looking for a quality work piece.

as my computer sits.... I am Beyond happy with this and 100% worth the price. GO buy one if your on the fence. If you are waiting for the next gen.. well i think it will be a while. (early 2014 for any major changes)

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Agree 100%. I am a programmer and I love my rMBP. It blows away any other computer I've ever used and the retina display is extraordinary.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Have a little down time right now thought i would give a little write up.

I was on here before having some of you help decide between Macbook's. My use is a decktop replacement (although neve owned a DT) that gets heavy daily use in google chrome & microsoft office.

I needed a portable computer more so then a powerful one. I chose the 15R due to form factor, slim, lightweight and 15inch display. I did not purchase this because of the "retina" display.

Some may ask why i didn't look at the classic 15, in which i did but it is Much bigger and much heavier esp to cart around daily.

I will say this, Macrumors is a desease! haha, with so much talk about new models, IR etc... I felt like no purchase was the correct one. but im glad this forum exists, it has helped many people including me

SO, ON TO MY purchase and review.

Spent time at the store looking at the retinas they had on display (new store).

I tested 3 of 6 display models and they were all LG screens(didnt test the other 3). They all had IR after two minutes of the checkered board. Worried me, how old were these computers only a month? as the store opened in the beginning of dec.

Made the purchase way and ended up with an LG device.

I couldnt be any happier. I have been on this computer for 2 days straight now doing mainly word processing and the whole experience is simply amazing. I have used many computers in the past from windows 3.1 to now mac and Nothing comes close.

I am somewhat worried about the screen developing IR but Ill have to deal with that if and when it happens. I feel like I have no choice then to buy apple care as i plan on keeping this for years to come. (which sucks, because while the price is worth it.. the product should be 100% solid)

My bottom line is, I am now spoiled and this computer makes my work enjoyable.

Point of this post? If apple Manned up and offered their Retina customers a 2-3 warranty on JUST the retina displays I would recommend this computer to ANYONE looking for a quality work piece.

as my computer sits.... I am Beyond happy with this and 100% worth the price. GO buy one if your on the fence. If you are waiting for the next gen.. well i think it will be a while. (early 2014 for any major changes)

Agree with you. IR seems like its blown out of proportion, but thats just my opinion. Ive had mine for months with the LG display and have yet to see any IR. Of course if you put up a checkerboard you may develop IR but when really do you subject your screen to black and white colors for extended periods of time?

Applecare is a must with these machines, I agree, I know it shouldnt be.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Agree with you. IR seems like its blown out of proportion, but thats just my opinion. Ive had mine for months with the LG display and have yet to see any IR. Of course if you put up a checkerboard you may develop IR but when really do you subject your screen to black and white colors for extended periods of time?

Applecare is a must with these machines, I agree, I know it shouldnt be.

sad thing is, the display computer would show retention on just the darker desktop with the brighter safari window on top. It was not WOW look at that, you had to look for it but still I feel its not right when it seams the Samsung screens have little to no issues. for the Price apple should do something for their obviously most important customers (next to IOS) being the retina is the most prized and expensive computer offered.

sorry for beating a dead horse.

just another notch on the headboard tho as I am a new apple customer.

Still computer is a piece of art

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.