Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

3rd Party to Apple Store Exchange

Anyone had any luck exchanging something purchased from a 3rd party retailer to an Apple store? I picked up a couple of 16GB iPad mini's for the kids but now I'm thinking they need a 32GB due to their movies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:47 PM   #2
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkjsn View Post
Anyone had any luck exchanging something purchased from a 3rd party retailer to an Apple store? I picked up a couple of 16GB iPad mini's for the kids but now I'm thinking they need a 32GB due to their movies.
You'll have to do the exchange at the retailer. Apple would exchange those iPads if they were defective and under warranty or Applecare, but they would not allow you to exchange them for 32GB and you pay the difference if that is what you are thinking. They would only exchange them for identical iPads with 16GB of storage--and they'd be refurbs.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
You'll have to do the exchange at the retailer. Apple would exchange those iPads if they were defective and under warranty or Applecare, but they would not allow you to exchange them for 32GB and you pay the difference if that is what you are thinking. They would only exchange them for identical iPads with 16GB of storage--and they'd be refurbs.
People have done this, but usually only with iPads bought from that store. You could phone the, up and get a definitive answer rather than speculation from us though.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Thanks. That's what I thought. Kids are going to be stuck with them for now...not that it's a bad thing. It's more troublesome for me as I am the one that has to update their movies. I'd be willing to pay the $100 to upgrade each but it might be more of a hassle to ship them out to exchange it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I thought. Kids are going to be stuck with them for now...not that it's a bad thing. It's more troublesome for me as I am the one that has to update their movies. I'd be willing to pay the $100 to upgrade each but it might be more of a hassle to ship them out to exchange it.
They won't do it unless it was purchased at an Apple store. Wont the seller swap them?
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:58 PM   #6
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
They won't do it unless it was purchased at an Apple store. Wont the seller swap them?
They probably would but its an out of state retailer. I'd have to go through the hassle of shipping them out and all that jazz. They'd be without their iPads for more than two weeks I suspect as well and they've really fallen in love with them. Oh well, not a big deal. It was just something that popped in my head while in the John and figure I'd ask what everyone's experiences are before I try to even pursue it with Apple.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:03 PM   #7
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You didn't mention ages/circumstances, but if the kids are going to be in the same general vicinity then maybe a wireless drive is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirele...+wireless+plus
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:58 PM   #8
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
You didn't mention ages/circumstances, but if the kids are going to be in the same general vicinity then maybe a wireless drive is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirele...+wireless+plus
Ohhhh...good call. Got any experience in making it work with the ipad?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
People have done this, but usually only with iPads bought from that store. You could phone the, up and get a definitive answer rather than speculation from us though.
Definitely call. But as of two years ago, when I worked Apple Retail, the answer was a resounding "no". We once had someone push the issue all the way to the regional manager who ended up paying shipping both ways to the company they had bought it from, but still wasn't able to let them return or swap it at the Apple store.

At that time, it was physically impossible for us to move a serialized device into an inventory system where it never existed.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post
Definitely call. But as of two years ago, when I worked Apple Retail, the answer was a resounding "no". We once had someone push the issue all the way to the regional manager who ended up paying shipping both ways to the company they had bought it from, but still wasn't able to let them return or swap it at the Apple store.

At that time, it was physically impossible for us to move a serialized device into an inventory system where it never existed.
Makes sense. Thanks.

I think the wireless hard drive is my best bet. Not only would it benefit my children's iPad but expand accessibility for the wife and I as well.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:20 PM   #11
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You access it from an iOS App on your iPad. It's the successor to the Seagate Satellite drive.

----------

Quote:
You access it from an iOS App on your iPad. It's the successor to the Seagate Satellite drive (but with twice the capacity and battery life)
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad