Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:13 PM   #26
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
I just had the "Big O" for the first time in my life. Am I still considered a virgin?
No, just na´ve.

Most people from the city and the Bay Area take umbrage at using the name "Frisco" for The City (AKA "Babylon By The Bay").

Frisco is a nice little town in Colorado, though. It's between Keystone and Breckenridge.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:46 PM   #27
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
They "Get It"

Hearst is smart to realize that without Apple, they will die. Steve personally saved several major industries from extinction, and Hearst knows that Apple is their only hope at this point.

We should each subscribe immediately to several Hearst publications to prove to them how much apple can help.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #28
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Hearst is smart to realize that without Apple, they will die. Steve personally saved several major industries from extinction, and Hearst knows that Apple is their only hope at this point.

We should each subscribe immediately to several Hearst publications to prove to them how much apple can help.
I don't know what to say.

I'm going to go light a stick of incense for Steve.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:04 PM   #29
MacDav
Banned

With printed magazines you pay for the cost of paper and printing by subscribing or purchasing at the store or news stand. With digital media the actual cost of dispensing the media is almost non-existent. All digital magazines should be free and the publishers make money with advertising. I suppose you could have a pay option for those who don't want ads. Paying high subscription costs will not fly for me. No sale.
MacDav is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 PM   #30
Morshu9001
Banned

"Apple has rolled out a new feature for Newsstand"

Darn, I was hoping it would be the ability to remove the empty bookshelves. I don't want Newsstand.
Morshu9001 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #31
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
No, just na´ve.

Most people from the city and the Bay Area take umbrage at using the name "Frisco" for The City (AKA "Babylon By The Bay").

Frisco is a nice little town in Colorado, though. It's between Keystone and Breckenridge.
Really? So you apparently have talked to "most" people from the city and bay area and know what they think about this topic? You really get around don't you?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:23 PM   #32
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

While everyone is busy making off-topic comments, I'm going to read Time and MotorTrend on my iPad tomorrow at my doctor appointment, and excited to that my Car and Driver subscription will now arrive sooner.

This isn't a bad thing folks, it's actually pretty cool. I welcome any improvements to the eBook and magazine experience on iOS devices
somethingelsefl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:10 PM   #33
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but I still prefer magazines in the physical form. I do wish Apple would finally give the option to remove the Newsstand app or put it in a folder.
I feel the same way. Same goes with books, I'd rather be holding the actual book in my hands while I'm reading it.

Regardless, still a nice perk for having Newsstand.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:31 PM   #34
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Early Edition, anyone?
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:51 PM   #35
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but I still prefer magazines in the physical form. I do wish Apple would finally give the option to remove the Newsstand app or put it in a folder.
NoNewsIsGoodNews
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:06 AM   #36
odonnelly99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
You could say this about hundreds of features of iOS and OS X... generally, it's not individual perks that sway a person to buy a given product (particularly a product priced so much above the competition,) but the entirety of how all those small perks come together.

I'm actually going to back down a bit from what I just said though and point out one thing Apple could do that would prompt me to buy an iPad in a heartbeat: get the textbooks I need for class into your iBooks Textbook store! Pay just $15/book and keep it forever rather than pay $200/book and then return it and get maybe $140 back (if you're lucky) sounds amazing. I occasionally wish I had my textbooks back (IE, my Circuits book was a lot clearer than my Electronics book is when it comes to Op Amps... but I returned that book last year and I'm taking Electronics now...)
Yeah, I don't think I have ever been able to find any required texts in iBooks. I have had some success, though, with finding e-textbooks on amazon that work with the iPad kindle app. And usually quite a bit cheaper than the regular textbook price (two that stand out: in undergrad, 40.00 for a text normally priced at 160.00, and just last week for a grad class, 57.00 vs 120.00).
odonnelly99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:54 AM   #37
Sital
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I prefer the actual magazine too. I had several subscriptions through Zinio, but found that I would either start reading an issue and never finish it or, more likely, forget I had new issues waiting to be read. It was the old "out of sight, out of mind" thing.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:02 AM   #38
Akarin
macrumors 6502

Good the see the offering is expanding on Newsstand. But I have a major pain point with it: I don't know how it is in other countries but for a multilingual country like Switzerland, the browsing and searching for magazines on Newsstand is awful. There is loads of improvement room for the design of the app and its store.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:29 AM   #39
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

With news aggregators, blogs, online articles... people still bother to read magazines and their annoying full page ads ?

It's sad, but I don't think the magazine industry has long to live.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:48 AM   #40
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Really? So you apparently have talked to "most" people from the city and bay area and know what they think about this topic? You really get around don't you?

Read the this - and I'll accept your apology....

Quote:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1114124AAF9IyU

Don't call San Francisco, Frisco....Why?

I'm curious...how come San Francisco people don't like it when people refer to the city as Frisco?
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:28 AM   #41
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
With printed magazines you pay for the cost of paper and printing by subscribing or purchasing at the store or news stand. With digital media the actual cost of dispensing the media is almost non-existent. All digital magazines should be free and the publishers make money with advertising. I suppose you could have a pay option for those who don't want ads. Paying high subscription costs will not fly for me. No sale.
By all means, don't buy a product if you don't think it's worth your money. However, for digital magazines, there's still a (large) cost for app development, digital issue production costs, storage/bandwidth, and the same cost for generating quality content. For everyone but the largest publications, digital ad revenue alone doesn't cover these costs.
astrorider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:00 AM   #42
nostresshere
macrumors 68020

Quote:
...Most people from the city and the Bay Area take umbrage at using the name "Frisco" for The City (AKA "Babylon By The Bay").....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post

If someone wants to have an online name of "Frisco", why does anyone have the nerve to call him out about what people from/living in San Francisco like to call it.

The posting was out of place and downright foolish. The OP can call himself anything he wants.

And, not that anyone cares, idiots like this is the reason I will decide to waste my time elsewhere... again.
nostresshere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:01 AM   #43
alent1234
macrumors 603

this is awesome

now i'll be able to read old news even faster. i bet some tech magazine is going to have breaking coverage of CES next month or in march
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:23 AM   #44
InfernoShade
macrumors regular

Quote:
No offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Magazines are like books, the paper and printing is a small percent of what it costs to run the business. You have offices, staff, writers, photographers, designers, vendors, infrastructure, etc. All these are why you PAY for a magazine. I've worked in publishing and have many friends in the industry.

Lets say the printing is 10% (rough estimate) of the cost to run a magazine or publish a book. Then digital mags and books would be 10% cheaper. NOT FREE. Sadly due to industry pressures it's varies quite a bit. I'd be perfectly happy with 10% cheaper on digital items. Also realize that the companies replace printing and shipping with the cost of digital infrastructure, so at some level it could be a wash.

People like you who think things should be FREE should try working for free and see how you like it. People who deliver you a service (magazines, etc.) need to get paid.

Bottom line: you really don't understand how business works.
InfernoShade is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:45 AM   #45
unsung719
macrumors newbie

Quote:
you are not alone.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:32 AM   #46
arcite
macrumors 6502a

Who reads magazines anymore? They're full of ads, old stories, and not interactive. Aside from getting freebies on airplanes, I haven't bought a magazine in years.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:24 AM   #47
RollTide1017
macrumors regular

I love Newsstand, it's probably the most used app on my iPad next to Chrome. I currently have 7 magazine subscriptions through Newsstand. I've never had that many magazine subscriptions at one time in my life until Newsstand.
RollTide1017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:12 PM   #48
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoShade View Post
No offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Magazines are like books, the paper and printing is a small percent of what it costs to run the business. You have offices, staff, writers, photographers, designers, vendors, infrastructure, etc. All these are why you PAY for a magazine. I've worked in publishing and have many friends in the industry.

Lets say the printing is 10% (rough estimate) of the cost to run a magazine or publish a book. Then digital mags and books would be 10% cheaper. NOT FREE. Sadly due to industry pressures it's varies quite a bit. I'd be perfectly happy with 10% cheaper on digital items. Also realize that the companies replace printing and shipping with the cost of digital infrastructure, so at some level it could be a wash.

People like you who think things should be FREE should try working for free and see how you like it. People who deliver you a service (magazines, etc.) need to get paid.

Bottom line: you really don't understand how business works.
No, I don't think you understand. While what you say may be true, the facts are that most people today won't pay high subscription costs for online media...period. The only way they will continue to exist is to pay for it all with advertising. You are stuck in the past. Trying to do things in the future the same way they were done in the past is a lost cause. Sorry...adapt or die.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
By all means, don't buy a product if you don't think it's worth your money. However, for digital magazines, there's still a (large) cost for app development, digital issue production costs, storage/bandwidth, and the same cost for generating quality content. For everyone but the largest publications, digital ad revenue alone doesn't cover these costs.
I personally think they will have to make it work to survive. The question is how much are people willing to pay for a subscription. I know I would pay a little for something important to me. It might be a better idea to sell per issue instead of subscription. Some installments might interest me and others not. Why should I pay for something I won't read? Time marches on and the magazine publishing business must evolve or become extinct.

----------

Quote:
Read the this - and I'll accept your apology....
Are you serious? You give me a link to Yahoo answers? Answers given by bored people with too much time on their hands. Nothing but more opinions? Give me some real polling data. Put up or... you know what. As for an apology, keep on dreaming.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:27 AM   #49
malexandria
macrumors 6502

Hate Newstand

I like the magazines and digital versions well enough. But I hate how it seems like magazine is an App.
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:46 AM   #50
InfernoShade
macrumors regular

Quote:
No, I don't think you understand. While what you say may be true, the facts are that most people today won't pay high subscription costs for online media...period. The only way they will continue to exist is to pay for it all with advertising. You are stuck in the past. Trying to do things in the future the same way they were done in the past is a lost cause. Sorry...adapt or die.
Again, you make no sound argument. I do understand. Very well. Seemingly better than someone who says, "adapt of die".

Just because some people don't want to pay for something doesn't mean it should or will become free. Period.

Delivering digital publishing does not cut ALL the other business costs. Don't you get it. It's possible that digital distribution could lead to price reduction IF the sales increase. But at this stage where it's complicated and mixed, it doesn't. Maybe in the future. Maybe not. As you don't seem to understand, the cost of printing and shipping is replaced with the cost of digital infrastructure and distribution. The rest of the business is still the same - staff, offices, etc.

"Adapt of Die", just a silly saying when you don't really understand the whole business. FYI I'm totally immersed in the digital world in my personal life and work, so get it and I've already adapted. But that does not change anything. It's the business model that needs to be examined and it's complicated. Just having digital distribution doesn't mean consumers get your product for free now. You're comment about paying for it all with advertising shows how little you know. Magazine already make money on advertising dollars. Advertising is changing all the time, so that's part of the complexity.

Look at other digital examples, music, movies, books. They have not become free. Look music is even going up in price a little. Information will always have value. Context has always been king, and generally it has a cost.

Don't expect things to become free because you just don't want to pay. Also, you'll end up paying for it another way, like the way FB and Google use your info to spam you with contextual advertising.

----------

[/COLOR]

Quote:
I personally think they will have to make it work to survive. The question is how much are people willing to pay for a subscription. I know I would pay a little for something important to me. It might be a better idea to sell per issue instead of subscription. Some installments might interest me and others not. Why should I pay for something I won't read? Time marches on and the magazine publishing business must evolve or become extinct.
You can already buy magazines per issue. You can even buy the NY TImes buy issues digitally (even the Sunday Times per issue). Also look at cable, you can't buy a la carte (though we all would like to), because the whole business model is so complex. Partial subscription makes no sense. Either buy one issue or a the whole sub (which is cheaper). This makes sense for everyone.

Nothing is going extinct. The content has value; people want it. Silly people cried the book publishing (and music) was going to die too, but digital hasn't changed that.
InfernoShade is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion