Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

13 Inch Retina Macbook Pro VS Mac Pro 8 Core 2.26ghz

i saw the Mac pro *used for about the same price of the retina macbook pro 13 inch.
The mac pro was released in 2008, but what ive heard is that old Mac Pros cant have Mountain Lion. i mean i dont get it, im not computer savvy but as far as i know the more the cores the better? i5 dual core vs 2.26ghz intel xeon 8 cores?
which one would you go for? im confused
portability is not a factor for me. i just like to use for entertainment, photoshop editing and plan on using imovie a lot.

please correct me if im wrong.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

If it is a 2009 Mac Pro (2008 had no 2.26 GHz models as far as I can see), it supports running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, without AirPlay though.

Anyway, the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display will do fine with your tasks, as iMovie is still not able to take advantage of more than two cores (might change, if there ever is a new iLife version with 64-bit applications), entertainment can still be run with two cores and PS editing can also be done with two cores, though depending on your work load (huge files with lots of layers and lot of editing), you might benefit from more cores and a Mac Pro.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
If it is a 2009 Mac Pro (2008 had no 2.26 GHz models as far as I can see), it supports running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, without AirPlay though.

Anyway, the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display will do fine with your tasks, as iMovie is still not able to take advantage of more than two cores (might change, if there ever is a new iLife version with 64-bit applications), entertainment can still be run with two cores and PS editing can also be done with two cores, though depending on your work load (huge files with lots of layers and lot of editing), you might benefit from more cores and a Mac Pro.
Man, I'm a huge apple fan and I'm always defending apple when my friends talk bad about it. For once I thought about the alienware desktops. I understand the Mac Pro is 2009 but it's processor is far better than the retina MacBook why no airplay? And why can't the 08 support mountain lion. I mean these desktops are/were over $3000.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion