Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:37 PM   #26
sauria
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I you can do that, you will become a PowerPC rockstar.

Combing through all of the Geekbench benchmarks, the 2.7 beats out the 2.3 by 200 to 300 points, which makes the 2.7 I'm typing on feel warm and fuzzy.

As for the App store, there are a few things you may want to check out. One is MacLibre. It had free software for Macs. I believe it connected to a server and retrieved a list of downloadable apps. It does not work anymore. Please, don't take any cues from the interface though, it is poor. The MAS interface is pretty good, something like that (perhaps more lightweight) would be good.

The other thing to check out is a website that is being set up right now by 2 members of Macrumors (myself and spyguy10709).

There is nothing online yet, but I have gathered and collected about 200 pieces of software that I will be uploading very soon. It would be very cool if your App store could connect to the webserver, get the descriptions, authors, date released, compatibility, display it in a beautiful Mac App Store interface, and offer it for download.
Nice new PPC site, Can't seem to create a login though -- got an error. Thanks!
sauria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:00 PM   #27
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauria View Post
Nice new PPC site, Can't seem to create a login though -- got an error. Thanks!
Try logging into your account. I thought I had gotten rid of this issue.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 01:58 PM   #28
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-B View Post
In short, quite a while.

I don't mean to get your hopes downplayed, but I took a look at the macports version of the OpenJDK 6 (yes 6, not 7) and I'm using that as a starting point. It's a mess. This is not to say it cannot be done, only that it's a very involved project.
Any progress on the port?
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 06:31 PM   #29
MysticCow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Orange View Post
I wonder, if there are still so much leaking G5s. I mean it's like, the high PSU failure rate of some PowerMac Models. If it hasn't gone bad by now, it may be a sign that this is one of the good ones. In 2008 there were still reports of Quads leaking, I mean sometime the bad ones should have been naturally "sorted out".
Also, I wonder, if today most leakings come from used ones, that are shipped across the country. (Also, concerning PSU failure rates, I would like to know, if they are higher in the US than in e.g. France and Germany, since the US electricity "system" is said to be not that good, involving lightning conductors.)
The pessimist in me says that it's only a matter of time before all of the liquid cooled G5's fail from coolant leaks. Now with the PSU failures, if it hasn't failed by now, it's either been fixed or it isn't very likely to happen. I just, for some reason, can't put my trust on the liquid coolant as much as the PSU.
MysticCow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 11:01 PM   #30
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegong View Post
2.7 for non SMP aware applications is the fastest PowerPC out there (http://www.barefeats.com/quad02.html)
2.5 Quad is the fastest (by far!) for SMP aware applications

For 2.3 v 2.7 debate I deliberately went for the 2.3 for reasons you mention, bigger CPU cache, Dual Core (not Dual CPU), graphics card options just 'more modern' but my main reason was to avoid the liquid cooling system which can be problematic.
This, do take into account that most PPC applications aren't SMP aware, games especially. On my dual 1.8, the CPU is the bottle neck in every single game. The graphics card is an ATI FireGL X3 flashed to a Mac Radeon X800 XT.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs