Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Cannot connect MBA to external monitor

My 2010 MBA cannot connect to any external monitor via the mini displayport. I am running Mountain Lion and Windows 7 using rEFIT. I've tried 3 seperate adapters, DVI, VGA, and a dual DVI/HDMI adapter. None of them are official Apple ones for what it's worth. I don't frequently use this but the last time I tried was over 2 years ago and it worked great. The only difference at the time being I was running Snow Leopard.

Neither of the systems detect any external monitor. I am absolutely sure my tv/monitor is tuned to the correct input as well. It is simply as if there's nothing attached. I cannot change anything in the options to configure an external monitor because it's as if its not there. This happens in both OSX and Windows.

My last ditch effort is to try reinstalling everything from scratch and forgo rEGIT (is it possible that's the problem?). The nearest Apple store is 3 hours away and out of warranty so I want to discount all other possibilities before going there.

I've tried an SMC and PRAM reset.

Last edited by macsrcool1234; Jan 17, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Wait, have you tried using a different computer with the monitor?

Have you considered that it might be the cable between the monitor and computer?

I can't say more based on your rather vague setup descriptions.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
Wait, have you tried using a different computer with the monitor?

Have you considered that it might be the cable between the monitor and computer?

I can't say more based on your rather vague setup descriptions.
I've tried both on a monitor and a tv and it doesn't work on either whereas other devices do. It's not the display. It's also not the cable, as I mentioned in my 'vague' description, I tried 3 separate interfaces.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
I've tried both on a monitor and a tv and it doesn't work on either whereas other devices do. It's not the display. It's also not the cable, as I mentioned in my 'vague' description, I tried 3 separate interfaces.
I said it was vague because it was unclear whether you used the same cable from the displayport to the monitor.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air