Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
MaCAD
macrumors newbie

Apple TV or another media player?

My wife needs to watch her DVD tv show to fall asleep to. We have a Sony Bravia in the master bedroom that has HDMI CEC and a Sony Bluray with HDMI CEC. HDMI CEC was the perfect solution for her sleep routine. Instead of multiple remotes and button selections, it simplified it to just 1 remote with 2 buttons pushed. She would first push "Play" which would turn on both the TV and Bluray, change the tv input to the Bluray, and start the DVD where it last left off. Then she would hit the sleep button and she would be set. This worked great especially if she woke up in the middle of the night and needed to turn back on the show to fall back asleep. The only downfall is that the disc for the tv show had to constantly be changed.

I decided to rip the DVDs so that we could use a media player to eliminate the hassle of the DVDs. I then ran into problems. Plex on my mac mini became too complicated, Plex doesn't easily continuously play tv shows without addition button commands. Also the mac mini doesn't have HDMI CEC which requires now 2 remotes and multiple button selections.

I then looked into the Apple TV. I can do continuously play with video playlists but it doesn't support HDMI CEC and I have to have iTunes always open on my mac (sometimes I have to go into bootcamp for work while my wife is going to bed).

I also looked into Roku but it also doesn't have HDMI CEC and we don't want to purchase a harmony remote or use an iOS app because its like a second remote. I then looked into the WD live and it now has HDMI CEC but many people are complaining that it doesn't work correctly.

Does any one have a recommendation for a media player that is dead simple to use like what we had with the bluray? I don't care about its streaming service capabilities, I have Sat TV and don't use hulu or netflix. I just want something that can play my .MP4 files which has a nice interface and HDMI CEC.
MaCAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
khollister
macrumors 6502

I believe the WDTV Live (latest version - they keep tweaking the name) supports HDMI CEC.
khollister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

If all the other devices in your house are Apple I'd say get ATV. If its a mix, then I'd probably go with something else. I could live without my ATV, but its really convenient for getting most of my media to play in any room I want.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:20 PM   #4
MaCAD
macrumors newbie

Everything in my house is apple (ipad, 2 iphones, 2011 mac mini and mbp). I do like the apple tv since I can airplay from ios and screen share from my mac mini. I just wish that I could plug a hard drive into the apple tv and that it had HDMI CEC. Even if a jailbreak eventually came out, that wouldn't fix the lack of HDMI CEC.

khollister, do you have the WD Live? If so, what do you think of it?
MaCAD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Primejimbo
macrumors 68020

Wouldn't a Harmony remote fix this issue? I don't have one, but heard people on here using it for their Apple TV.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:36 PM   #6
khollister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCAD View Post
Everything in my house is apple (ipad, 2 iphones, 2011 mac mini and mbp). I do like the apple tv since I can airplay from ios and screen share from my mac mini. I just wish that I could plug a hard drive into the apple tv and that it had HDMI CEC. Even if a jailbreak eventually came out, that wouldn't fix the lack of HDMI CEC.

khollister, do you have the WD Live? If so, what do you think of it?
Yes, I have one we use with a 3TB HDD in our RV instead of carrying DVD's/blu-rays. For video it is fine; for music it has some issues - the UI is not as nice as the ATV and it doesn't play ALAC. The UI for movies is pretty decent, although it isn't really set up for TV shows as I recall (I only use it for movies).

I use ATV's at the house due to iTunes compatibility, iOS remote app, etc.
khollister is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater