Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manchester

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
I've recorded a tv programme via my satellite receiver, which downloads in a .ts format.

I'm wanting to edit the single file, in removing multiple sections of the video. So, what software would you recommend for easily undertaking this?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've recorded a tv programme via my satellite receiver, which downloads in a .ts format.

I'm wanting to edit the single file, in removing multiple sections of the video. So, what software would you recommend for easily undertaking this?

Use ProjectX, it's a great TS editor / converter and, unlike tons of TS editors for Windows, completely free (!!!).

Back in 2011, I've written a tutorial on using it for trimming / editing TS files. It's as follows:

Pre-cutting the TS videos

If you don't mind recompressing your videos (because you've already purchased SyncPod and want to stick with it) but want to avoid stretching problems because of the dynamic switching, you'll want to extract the parts you would like to recompress with ProjectX (additional info). Below, I thoroughly explain how it should be used.

Note that I've tested almost all the TS-capable video converters / editors / cutters out there. The most recent versions of the following:

Avidemux (Mac), HDTVtoMPEG2 (home (additional remarks HERE and HERE; Win only; just drag the slider at the bottom and click “Exclude” to exclude the remaining part. Then, click “Process” at the top right to create the file.), TSSniper (additional info; Win only; this one didn't work, just displayed “DirectShow problem – Failure while trying to render filtergraph”, just like with some other people), DVBCut (another page; use e.g. THIS (another commercial app HERE) to decompress; Win only); VideoRedo TVSuite (Win only; commercial). None of them supported subtitles, some even didn't correctly copy / create the audio track language information (the exceptions being HDTVtoMPEG2 and VideoRedo).

Back to ProjectX. No, it's not the iOS reincarnation of the excellent Amiga game Project-X, but an (also) excellent video file manipulator tool. It's very easy to use: download the file and double-click ProjectX.jar. After accepting the agreement, tap “Cut Control” at the bottom (see red oval in the screenshot below) and load the video via File / Add. (Here, I explain how THIS already-introduced video is freed of the first three seconds still using the 16:9 aspect ratio.)

Now, drag the slider (see red oval) to a position where already the final aspect ratio is used (in this case, around 0:03):

Click the “Add cut point” icon (red oval below) once; the rest of the timeline remains green (while the previous becomes red), showing the next export operation will only save the video starting at the current point:

Now, click the “Prepare” button in the top left (just below QuickStart) and, in the new window that opens, check in the “1:1 binary copy” checkbox (red oval below):

Then, just click the Go / Pause button in the upper left corner:

Congratulations, the new file is in the same directory as the source file! Now, you can freely compress / transfer it via SyncPod (or any “dumb” converter): as there's no aspect ratio change in the file any more, the 4:3 video won't be stretched to 16:9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.