Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Am I missing something here? Or are developers just not making any more apps?

The iPhone 5S is about to come out. And the only game I can think of that really takes advantage of the iPhone 5 is Lily.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I haven't downloaded a really good app in about a year. I never knew what people saw in Temple run. And angry birds is completely played out.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
There are already plenty of apps updated for the iPhone 5's 4" display. Look around for "optimized for the iPhone 5" in the description.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Have you tried the NOVA series? NOVA 3 was updated for iPhone 5 screen. The Dark Knight Rises was as well. Jurassic Park builder. EPOCH is another great example. Have you even searched for apps that are optimized. If you're looking for apps besides games, it's kind of hard to find anything new that is worthy of a download because there's just not a whole of original ideas left. I've always wanted to design an app but I can't for the life of me think of anything that I would want that isn't already made. Right now, it's probably mostly developers continuing to make their current apps better with each progression. And every once in a while you may get a new original idea that some how no one already thought of.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I said NEW apps, Temple Run ain't new, NOVA ain't new, Angry Birds isn't new.

I just don't know what's going on. The Spider-Man game was the only time I felt I was getting something really immersive. Not just something casual, and it was something fresh.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Temple Run 2 is just the same as Temple Run 1. If you played the first, there is no reason to play the second.

Black ops 2 is the same as black ops however people still buy black ops 2.

----------

The iPhone 5S is about to come out. And the only game I can think of that really takes advantage of the iPhone 5 is Lily.

I download new apps all the time...

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
There's no new apps. :(

Recent apps I have downloaded

Fantastical
Gmail App update worth mentioning
Paper
Hundreds
Google Maps
Alien Blue
Hot Uk Deals
Letterpress
Xbox Smart Glass
Jasmine
iPlayer app just keeps getting better
Punch Quest
And yeah... Temple Run effing 2

My iPhone has much better apps than it did this time last year.

Maybe you should look a bit harder

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think what you're trying to say is that there isn't very much going on as far as games for iOS? I have to agree. Punch Quest is pretty good, but we're not in the 80's and early 90's anymore. As much as I like retro gaming, our technology is getting better, and you'd think that there'd be more stuff taking advantage of the beautiful retina screens on our devices.

Hang on for a little longer though. These things take a long time to make, but there's probably a lot of cool new stuff coming our way.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah, I got all this money to spend and there's no ground breaking apps, or really any interesting games on iOS, they're all just kind of mindless run of the mill games.

I mean just think of how many Instagram clones have come out in the past month. Facebook, Twitter, cinemagram, and a thousand others

They're all just replicas of the same damn thing.

I got tired of Angry Birds after the first one. You can't play Slice It forever.

Also, there's only a handful of multiplayer games as well.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I've never really caught the iOS gaming bug, myself.

But there are plenty of new apps that are great for more than just killing time.

I suggest you take a look at AppShopper's New List to see what's brand new to the store.

Also, while there are plenty of Instagram clones, Cinemagram is not one of them. They do very different things.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010

I just stopped reading at "The iPhone 5S is about to come out."

If you want to see a barren App Store try Google Play.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Apple already favors iphone 5 optimized apps a slight bit in search results. I believe this rankings boost will get larger and larger as time goes on. After the iphone 5S release you really have to dig deep for an app that is not optimized for the “new” 4inch screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.