Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
alisonspain
macrumors newbie

Non-Techy Artist/Designer: Advice Sought

(I'm hoping this is the right forum for posting, apologies if not. Presently working my way through the iMac thread).

Hello Mac Forums. I'm hoping to purchase a new iMac or PC soon and seeking some advice. I'm working on an ancient MacBook Pro (2006) that is wheezing along. I'm an artist that uses Creative Suite (working on an old version of CS4 now) and hope to begin incorporating some GIS and basic CAD drawing into my work. I do not plan on doing really complicated rendering with GIS, just want something that will not overheat when I get a few programs going.

I prefer Apple's operating system, design, and overall functionality. I've been looking at new iMacs, refurbished iMacs, and used iMacs on Craigslist. A friends who works with similar software had PC put together at the local Micro Center for significantly less. Budget is an issue, but I also anticipate keeping this computer for a while, so over the course of a few years, a few extra hundred bucks is not huge.

Any thoughts on PC vs. iMac, refurb vs. new, how much power I really need, or anyone that is working with similar graphics heavy software that has an opinion. I try to read the technical specs and forums, but at some point, it really is a foreign language. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THank you.
alisonspain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:33 PM   #2
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

(Actually I think you should be here: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54
But anyway...)

I'd say go with a mac for graphics design, if only for the displays they have. Most people don't know what good colours are until they've seen a Mac.

I'd recommend the stock iMac 21.5 inch then if your on a budget, although I would recommend the stock 27 inch if it's within your price range, mostly for the added screen real estate and better graphics card.

Either will last you a long time.

21.5 Inch: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD093LL/A?

27 Inch: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD095LL/A?

Hope this helps

Last edited by tevion5; Feb 8, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
tevion5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:39 PM   #3
LunchMoney
macrumors newbie

At my old job I used to work on a 2010 27" iMac.
I'm trying to find a 27" iMac now for myself.
My current job pays better and I have much more challenging projects and
feel motivated but I miss that 27" screen.
LunchMoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchMoney View Post
At my old job I used to work on a 2010 27" iMac.
I'm trying to find a 27" iMac now for myself.
My current job pays better and I have much more challenging projects and
feel motivated but I miss that 27" screen.
Yeah I know the feeling, at first it seems enormous, but after a while everything else just feels small
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:23 PM   #5
phobos
macrumors member

Hey alisonspain
I would go for a specced out machine.
As you say you intend to keep the computer as long as possible so your best bet is the maxed out 27 inch (i7,680MX, third party RAM, maybe bigger internal disk).
It might seem like an overkill for you now but don't forget that the requirements for programs (and the os) always go higher and not lower. On top of that you tend to always outgrow your machine so it's better to have a capable machine that will suit your needs as long as possible rather than the other way around.
The 27 inch offers a great working area and resolution compared to the 21" iMac.
As for the refurb vs new issue I would probably go the new route.
Hope this helps a little!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #6
alisonspain
macrumors newbie

Thanks folks. Sorry for being in the wrong forum. Missed the buying guide sticky.
alisonspain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac