Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Interesting Apple Article how they are repeating the 80's

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/...80s/?iid=HP_LN

Quote:
Potentially weak iPhone demand is just a symptom. The back and forth in recent days about a cheaper iPhone belies what may be a much larger problem for the world's dominant gadget maker: Apple seems to be repeating a mistake it made nearly two decades ago by making it difficult for developers and peripheral makers to work with the company. At the same time, Apple is maintaining a premium price for its products, hurting adoption in developing markets. A radical departure by chief executive Tim Cook is needed fast if Apple is going to stay on top.

Last edited by Wicked1; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Updated thread
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
Interesting read. But the whole "apple should open up iOS to other manufacturers" thing, is never gonna happen. Nor should it.

I think it would be wise for apple to create an iTunes Store app for android, so that people that use iTunes on their pc can also use iTunes on their android. Seems like an easy way to dominate music purchasing on the android platform.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by afireintonto View Post
Interesting read. But the whole "apple should open up iOS to other manufacturers" thing, is never gonna happen. Nor should it.
If that is really what the author of that article argues, then he doesn't even remember what almost killed Apple before : The Clone market. Specifically, opening MacOS to other manufacturers.

So by keeping iOS to themselves, they aren't repeating squat.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
chown33
macrumors 603

The article ends with this:
After all, the iPhone is simply a delivery device for content—the more people you have on your network, the larger your revenue. If Apple continues on its current path, it could lose—a lot.
The author should look at Apple's reported revenues for a few years in the past, and see what the revenues are for sales of iOS devices vs. revenues from the iTunes store. Short answer: Not even close.

So the author is basically arguing that Apple should license iOS, thus undermining its high-revenue high-profit sales of devices, in order to increase its sales from the lower-revenue lower-profit iTunes store. This despite the fact that Apple is consistently taking nearly 2/3 of the profits in smartphone sales, with less market share than its largest competitor. Clearly, a business plan worthy of ... uh, someone who needs to write an article about a "faltering" Apple.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Apple hasn't licensed OS X and marketshare is at an all time high.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
robanga
macrumors 68000

The press loves a good fall from on high story - Android still pulls in a fraction of the profit that iOS does and only Samsung is profitable to speak of.

The writer really did not make many good points.

Should Apple rest? of course not but to draw parallels to the 80s is pretty sensational and they are a much different company, that has attained a much higher high.

Look at the iPad success and most recently the iPad Mini.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Apple hasn't licensed OS X and marketshare is at an all time high.
At one time (80-90s) Apple was the nut case who controlled both OS and hardware. Ironic that now Microsoft and Google are both trying to emulate Apple. The argument is that a great product needs consistent vision on both ends of the equations.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:50 PM   #8
daneoni
macrumors G4

Author is clueless
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Funny, I just read this blog.

http://mac360.com/2013/01/how-apple-...%28The+Loop%29

Quote:
Where, exactly, is Android winning in the battle against Apple’s iOS devices, the popular iPhone and iPad? Two words: Market share. Not revenue, not profits, not customers who spend money in the forest of Apple’s ecosystem.

In fact, on every other front except one, Apple is demolishing Android, despite being outsold in unit market share...
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
iSee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/...80s/?iid=HP_LN

So, it would seem Apple are on their way out?
Well, if they are on their way out, it's not for any of the reasons the article brings up (in the first 2/3rds of it -- I stopped reading after that.

That article is just run-of-the-mill Apple bashing. It's a common practice amongst the tech press because it's an easy way to get clicks.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:12 PM   #11
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Author is clueless
Why do you think this? Not saying you're wrong but your statement isn't very helpful otherwise.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:29 PM   #12
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Why do you think this? Not saying you're wrong but your statement isn't very helpful otherwise.
I pointed out a big reason why myself. Others have pointed out others. (chown33's post is especially damning).

At this point, it's pretty much established fact that the guy who wrote the article has no clue whatsoever.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:33 PM   #13
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I pointed out a big reason why myself. Others have pointed out others. (chown33's post is especially damning).

At this point, it's pretty much established fact that the guy who wrote the article has no clue whatsoever.
I agree with your reasoning and others, because you gave reasons. That's why I didn't quote or question yours.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion