question re: opened spam attachment - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
christy.
macrumors newbie

question re: opened spam attachment

Hello,
Yesterday I opened an e-mail from a friend, click on the attachment & it was a Webpage to the Fat Loss Factor. I even clicked a link on that page (please don't judge) ( :

After reading up on the subject I am more informed now, however,
I received and e-mail from the same friend today, this time I marked it spam on gmail w/o opening it or the attachment.

Then I received an e-mail from Apple stating I had "logged onto iCloud from my Iphone5".... I don't remember doing this.. so, I just changed my Apple ID and password.

Is there anything else I should do?

My friend is aware that her account has been hijacked.

Thank you to anyone who can help!!!!
christy. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Did you input any data from your iCloud account on the link you clicked?

If not it is just mere coincidence and now you changed your iCloud AppleID and password you are OK.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3
christy.
macrumors newbie

I didn't type in any bank info for sure, but I can't say with 100% certainty, that I didn't type in my e-mail address, which was my Apple ID. And I do not remember going on icloud at all.

Are there any other steps I should take?

If you click on a spam attachment and the link on it like I did, should I change my e-mail address altogether?

Thanks for your time ( :

----------

No, didn't enter any icloud data!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy. View Post
I didn't type in any bank info for sure, but I can't say with 100% certainty, that I didn't type in my e-mail address, which was my Apple ID. And I do not remember going on icloud at all.

Are there any other steps I should take?

If you click on a spam attachment and the link on it like I did, should I change my e-mail address altogether?

Thanks for your time ( :

----------

No, didn't enter any icloud data!
If you click on a link but don't enter any data like email it is almost 100% sure not to have a negative effect, most are just advertisements.

I do suggest though to have Firewall on and disable Java in Safari's browser preferences, untick Jave, NOT Javascript.
You can read more about this here: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

You changed your AppleID and password now, you are OK, but read that page for safe browsing, and no I do not think you are a fool, we all start with making mistakes, as long as you learn from this it's Ok.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
christy.
macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your help and kind words. I will be reading up on that link.

Thanks again!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help