Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:58 AM   #26
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
It matters because a group representing a fringe of society should not have the kind of power the NRA does. And you do your side no favors with a ridiculous comparison of the NRA to MacRumors.

While I'm sure the NRA is attracting new members, I'd bet they are losing many too.
I would hardly consider gun owners as a fringe group.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:59 AM   #27
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
The NRA does not represent all gun owners, just as the AARP does not represent all senior citizens.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:06 AM   #28
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Poorly worded. Gun owners are not a fringe group, well, the vast majority of them. The NRA is.
rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:14 AM   #29
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The NRA does not represent all gun owners, just as the AARP does not represent all senior citizens.
Now see, there is a problem there. Anytime on here that I mention that I am a gun owner, I get bashed about how nuts the NRA is and their evils are poured on me (and other gun owners).

So they don't represent all of the gun owners when it fits for a liberal argument, but they DO represent all gun owners when it fits a liberal argument.

As long as we are clear on that.

Now about inflated numbers....here is another way the numbers go up and many many organizations do things this way on both sides of the fence.

I am a gun owner, I have never registered for membership in the NRA, however I am a PAID member. I am a member of a shooting club and a portion of their dues goes to the NRA. That portion gives all the members of the shooting club a paid membership although it is at a much lower price than a normal membership. And allows the club to do sanctioned events and training classes.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 AM   #30
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Now about inflated numbers....here is another way the numbers go up and many many organizations do things this way on both sides of the fence.

I am a gun owner, I have never registered for membership in the NRA, however I am a PAID member. I am a member of a shooting club and a portion of their dues goes to the NRA. That portion gives all the members of the shooting club a paid membership although it is at a much lower price than a normal membership. And allows the club to do sanctioned events and training classes.

Did you miss this from the OP?

Quote:
Writing in 2000, when the NRA claimed to have 3.6 million members, journalist Osha Gray Davidson speculated on some of the group’s strategies for fluffing itself up:

Two years ago, David Gross, then an NRA board member, confided to me that a substantial number of the group’s 1 million Life Members are, well, dead. “There just isn’t that much incentive to go find out when someone passes away,” Gross explained. “Not when the cost of maintaining (a dead member) is minimal and when they add to your membership list.”

Who else is included in that figure of 3.6 million? I may be—although I haven’t been a member for years. Not long ago, I received an NRA form letter stating that in recognition of my previous commitment to the Second Amendment, the gun group had granted me an honorary membership. The mailing even included an NRA membership card embossed with my name.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:50 AM   #31
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

I'm a proud gun owner and I'll say it a million times, the NRA does not represent us they represent gumakers and their own self sustaining interests.

They even fight pro gun bills like sb 86

They campaigned against it but it still passed
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:37 PM   #32
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
I'm a proud gun owner and I'll say it a million times, the NRA does not represent us they represent gumakers and their own self sustaining interests.

They even fight pro gun bills like sb 86

They campaigned against it but it still passed
I dont agree with everything the NRA does, but they do more than represent gunmakers...

what was SB 86?
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:15 PM   #33
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Did you miss this from the OP?
No, not at all. I was saying how I am listed as a member but never actually joined.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:36 AM   #34
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
I dont agree with everything the NRA does, but they do more than represent gunmakers...
indeed they do......they also spend a lot of time and money getting right wing politicians elected
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues