Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
A little water recently got into the bottom of my iphone 4 and now it wont play music or videos or the sound of the keyboard? But my ringtone and alarm still work, is there any way of fixing this? Sound works perfectly fine with headphones in.

KillerTaco

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
A little water recently got into the bottom of my iphone 4 and now it wont play music or videos or the sound of the keyboard? But my ringtone and alarm still work, is there any way of fixing this? Sound works perfectly fine with headphones in.

You should try drying it out (this requires taking it apart and letting it sit for a few days). If that doesn't work, your speaker may be blown.

mollyh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
You should try drying it out (this requires taking it apart and letting it sit for a few days). If that doesn't work, your speaker may be blown.

It's been a week since it was water damaged and i put it in rice etc.. can you get the speaker fixed or is it broken for good?

KillerTaco

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
It's been a week since it was water damaged and i put it in rice etc.. can you get the speaker fixed or is it broken for good?

You can get it fixed at an apple store if it is still under warranty or AppleCare. You could do it yourself, but I'm not an expert on that replacement.

It may not even be completely broken though. You may be able to replace one of the connections or try to dry them out some individually.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can get it fixed at an apple store if it is still under warranty or AppleCare. You could do it yourself, but I'm not an expert on that replacement.

It may not even be completely broken though. You may be able to replace one of the connections or try to dry them out some individually.

Warranty is void with water damage.
Apple Care + will cover it if the iPhone 4 was eligible for that coverage.

You should check out ifixit.com to see if it is possible to fix the connection and get some phone off ebay that is being sold for parts only.

Tunny

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Staffordshire
What you want is the main complete dock connector. But if you're not confident doing it yourself,( as there are plenty delicate parts in there) I'd take it to a store I wouldn't think they'd charge you much, say £50. It will be way cheaper that buying a spare phone.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yep, as posted above it's the dock connector (or corrosion between pins).

You might be able to clean the corrosion off with a toothbrush/thin paintbrush and a toothpick - but be careful!

mollyh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
The warranty has ran out so il have to take it into a shop or something because i dont feel comfortable doing it myself. The past few days it has been tempremental, the sound will play for a few seconds but then nothing.. Thank you so much for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.