Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
New to me is a retina and knock on wood i have been very good with my technology and take care of it best I can.

Saw that company's offer skins for these computers, well has anyone skipped in paying 50+$ and just covering the bottom with Vinyl?

Coming from a MBA the "feet" on this 15inch retina are a much smaller profile and any time i place it down it drags on the case itself and not the feet.

FYI- a piece of vinyl costs five dollars to do this. Going to pick some up today.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Just curious, what about heat dissipation after the application of skin?

Does your fan spin more than it does usually?

Thanks.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.

I just realized that you can opt in only purchasing certain parts. This is where I got my idea from but dont want to cover anything more than the bottom and possibly the top. I think ill order this instead thankyou!

Just curious, what about heat dissipation after the application of skin?

Does your fan spin more than it does usually?

Thanks.

I am sure this will have minimal effect on heat dissipation (just covering the bottom). Heat will still escape through the vinyl but maybe only at 80-90% compared to non covered? You still have the rest of the body exposed.

This is just my Guess... might lose 5% ? certainly less then say a full hardshell case and those are used by a ton of people.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just ordered the white carbon fiber bottom only one for mine as well :D already have it on my iPad

found a coupon online too ;)

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I just realized that you can opt in only purchasing certain parts. This is where I got my idea from but dont want to cover anything more than the bottom and possibly the top. I think ill order this instead thankyou!

I am sure this will have minimal effect on heat dissipation (just covering the bottom). Heat will still escape through the vinyl but maybe only at 80-90% compared to non covered? You still have the rest of the body exposed.

This is just my Guess... might lose 5% ? certainly less then say a full hardshell case and those are used by a ton of people.

No worries. I got the top/bottom and love it. Prevents from scratches and look hurra sexy.

liVec

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I have full Carbons skin on my rMPB. Heat management hasn't changed whatsoever, everything is the same, except looks much better and is scratch-free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.