Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laloarv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I hope i can get some help with this, I have an imac g3 blue dalmation I tried to intall ubuntu 8.04 but the partitoner fails, so I figured the hard drive was broken so I got a new one and installed it but now when I try to boot from the ubuntu cd it does not recognize it I swaped the drives again and wih the old one the ubuntu cd is recognized but not with the new one. I would really apreciate any help, thanks
The new hard drive is a seagate barracuda 40 gb
the old one is a 60 gb samsung drive
thanks I hope someone can help me.

G4TheWin

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2012
A ditch somewhere
I'd use MintPPC, or if you absolutely must use Ubuntu use Lubuntu 12.04. Mintppc has all of the hacks you need to get sound and Airport working. Plus, 8.04 just is way too old to be used. If you must use GNOME 2 use 10.04.
You can find MintPPC on http://mintppc.org/.

craisin

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
New Zealand
Mint PPC is a net install. I installed Lubuntu PPC 12.04 on a 80gig baracuda on my Emac g4 800.with a 512 and a 128 sticks of ram.
It was ok but finally I installed Ubuntu PPC 12.04 on a 60 gig hitachi laptop drive using a adapter the laptop drive has a 8mb cacke and I increased the ram to 2x512mb

Oh forgot to say I installed a DVD rom and wrote Ubuntu to a DVD @ 4X cause you have to write it a maximum speed on a CD

I was going to install ubuntu on a G3 but didnt feel confident about the CD device as the power comes through the IDE ribbon

A net install is most likely your best bet Mint PPC or Debian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.