Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
adamj575
macrumors 6502

cable and evetv

I am thinking of getting either an eyetv250 plus or an hd homerun to connect either my imac with the eyetv or my tv with the homerun and use the eyetv software on my mac. My main question is will I be able to get channels 2-62 on the eyetv or homerun just like i do when i screw the coax cable into my tv?...im having a hard time understanding all the encryption/qam talk....basically, now when I screw the coax into the tv i get channels 2-62 and i want that to be the same when i screw it in to whichever tuner i go with....my thinking is that as long as whatever device i get has a digital tuner it should function no differently than the tuner built into my tv...correct me if i am wrong...sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!
adamj575 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
adamj575
macrumors 6502

Anyone?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:28 PM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj575 View Post
I am thinking of getting either an eyetv250 plus or an hd homerun to connect either my imac with the eyetv or my tv with the homerun and use the eyetv software on my mac. My main question is will I be able to get channels 2-62 on the eyetv or homerun just like i do when i screw the coax cable into my tv?...im having a hard time understanding all the encryption/qam talk....basically, now when I screw the coax into the tv i get channels 2-62 and i want that to be the same when i screw it in to whichever tuner i go with....my thinking is that as long as whatever device i get has a digital tuner it should function no differently than the tuner built into my tv...correct me if i am wrong...sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!
I think that is correct. I think the bigger question is: How much longer are you going to be able to tap into the qam? Regulations have changed and unencrypted qam is being phased out.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

If you have to plug your coax into a digital cable box and then from the box to your TV then your signals are most likely encrypted, which means you'll need the EyeTV HD.

If you plug your coax directly into your TV and get channels then any of the regular EyeTV products should work fine because the signals aren't encrypted.

...but like mic j said, I do believe unencrypted cable is being phased out. I remember a co-worker that never paid for cable, he just ran a coax cable to the 40' pole on the corner of his property where the cable lines came into the neighborhood and connected his house to the main line. Back then when they disconnected the cable service, the company would just climb the pole and cut the connector off.
Now almost all lines are buried and you need digital boxes to receive channels.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
adamj575
macrumors 6502

Well, yeah I can get channels 2-62 by going straight to my tv....I would assume there is no big rush in my market to switch anything....may pick up an eyetv 250 plus...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater