Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
So I got the 2012 iMac when it was first released however, it had a very annoying high pitched sound from the CPU when it was idle. My friend also had this issue on his 2.9 i5 iMac so I am wondering if anyone recently who got the second batch of iMacs with the 2.9 i5 CPU still has this annoying sound?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My guess is it will never be addressed. It doesn't happen on the i7 models, as far as I can tell. Most people won't hear it, and it's nothing new in the CPU world, sadly. It annoys me on several systems I own (non-Apple), but aside from running different commands to fix the C3 state of the processor, it's unlikely to ever be addressed by Apple.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Hm, that is pretty disgraceful. My old laptop with an intel CPU doesn't have any sounds at all. Using the CPU at maximum all the time creates extra heat that is simply not needed.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hm, that is pretty disgraceful. My old laptop with an intel CPU doesn't have any sounds at all. Using the CPU at maximum all the time creates extra heat that is simply not needed.

I agree it's not ideal, but it's not something new. Most people just don't hear it. Unfortunately, you (and me) are among the group of people who do hear it. Pretty much all electronics emit some kind of electrical noise. I try and move those things as far away from me as possible when I'm at my desk, because that noise drives me bonkers.

All I can suggest is trying a replacement, but failing that either return the system outright if it's a real bother to you, or pay the difference for the i7 model if you absolutely have to have an iMac.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Has this been confirmed that i7 model doesn't produce any high pitched sound?

I can say 100% that my i7 doesn't have this issue, and I have numerous other Windows systems that do have the issue, so I know it well. I haven't read of any other i7 iMacs experiencing this problem on here, so take that for what it's worth.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I have a Lenovo laptop with i5 and hate the sound the CPU makes. My 2012 iMac is a 3.2GHz i5 and doesn't make that sound. It's very, very quiet.

PaddyPoke

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Oslo
The i7 does also have this issue

Hi, just wanted to let you know that i've experienced this on both my 2012 27" i7 iMacs. I had the first one replaced.

Huge bummer to hear the exact same thing on the new one (I recieved it a few days ago) :mad:

I called apple again and they insist on replacing it to a third one, as they say the noise should not be there... I even suggested that I may be sensitive to this noise... :rolleyes:

I've tried different power outlets and a surge stabilizer without any luck. :confused:

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Hi, just wanted to let you know that i've experienced this on both my 2012 27" i7 iMacs. I had the first one replaced.

Huge bummer to hear the exact same thing on the new one (I recieved it a few days ago) :mad:

I called apple again and they insist on replacing it to a third one, as they say the noise should not be there... I even suggested that I may be sensitive to this noise... :rolleyes:

I've tried different power outlets and a surge stabilizer without any luck. :confused:

So both the i7 and i5 get the noise when idle. Apple must fix this in new iMacs as its got to be costing them a lot to keep replacing peoples machines.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
My guess is it's electric circuitry related. Since iMac's PSU is pretty cheap and there's no hi-quality condensers etc. on the motherboard, trying to find an issue-free iMac is a lottery. Sad but true.
My i7 21.5 doesn't have this issue btw.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Still it should not happen on a brand new machine. Other than that the performance is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.