Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egoluboff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
I have an old iPhone 4 that I sync to my mac book pro for itunes and everything else. I bought an iphone 5 and when I plug it into the mac book to sync and get the old data a message says that my new iphone doesn't have itunes 10.7 on it and can't get the data. How do I get itunes 10.7 on the new iphone 5 if it isn't set up yet? If I set it up as a new phone, how do I get the old data from the iphone 4 onto it? Thanks

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
You need a minimum of Mac OS X 10.6 to support iTunes 10.7 and later. If you are running Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5 you need to upgrade by means of a 10.6 install disc. Once it's been installed, run updates to get to 10.6.8 and the latest version of iTunes. After that you can backup the iPhone 4 and restore the iTunes backup to the 5. If, for some reason, you don't want to upgrade the software on your computer you can also backup the 4 to iCloud, then restore the 5 from an iCloud backup.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have an old iPhone 4 that I sync to my mac book pro for itunes and everything else. I bought an iphone 5 and when I plug it into the mac book to sync and get the old data a message says that my new iphone doesn't have itunes 10.7 on it and can't get the data. How do I get itunes 10.7 on the new iphone 5 if it isn't set up yet? If I set it up as a new phone, how do I get the old data from the iphone 4 onto it? Thanks

Use iCloud if iTunes is poring to be a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.