Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Musicians tell how to beat the system

Category: Tunes
Link: Musicians tell how to beat the system

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Wow that's pretty intense.

But it really is a bit lame-- punishing the individual who actually bothered to go out and purchase the CD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
"The bad thing is that you are almost promoting what you are trying to protect against," Brown says. "You are upsetting the fan that went out and purchased the record."
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:11 PM   #3
paulypants
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilot76

But it really is a bit lame-- punishing the individual who actually bothered to go out and purchase the CD.
Another reason why I don't buy CD's anymore...
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Keynoteuser
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Keynoteuser Send a message via Yahoo to Keynoteuser
switchfoot

I bought the Switchfoot CD off iTunes, so I had no idea they had recalled a bunch of the cds. If I need a playable copy I'll just burn it.
Keynoteuser is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:15 PM   #5
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulypants
Another reason why I don't buy CD's anymore...
Eh, not all CD labels are using these methods. Besides, I am a bit old-fashioned and I like having the original disc along w/ it's decorative design and the art work.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Quote:
Eh, not all CD labels are using these methods. Besides, I am a bit old-fashioned and I like having the original disc along w/ it's decorative design and the art work.
Though I appreciate the original disk and packaging, I don't like spending twice the price (getting the cd from a record store) just to have that.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:44 PM   #7
ibook30
macrumors 6502a

I say good for the artists who stand up for what I believe in !
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8
mkubal
macrumors 6502a

If I ever buy a CD (which would be a first in a long time) that I can't copy and play how I want, I will certainly not feel bad about grabbing it off of P2P.
mkubal is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:51 PM   #9
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharewaredemon
Though I appreciate the original disk and packaging, I don't like spending twice the price (getting the cd from a record store) just to have that.
Spending twice the price! I guess I hunt around for the CDs I want and I'm lucky in that most of them can be found relatively cheaply... i.e. on half.com I can get some CDs for less than the shipping! So for a grand total of under $5.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:56 PM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

Two words:

Boyco and Tt.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:00 PM   #11
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Ugh. I hate having all those CDs wasting shelf space in my living room. I do wish Apple would make it easier to transfer music files from computer to computer, though.
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:10 PM   #12
Bob Knob
macrumors 6502

Bad Apple

I like how it's Apple's fault because they won't license FairPlay for the CDs.

Note to major record labels - Hurry up and die, your constant moaning and whining is really annoying.
Bob Knob is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:18 PM   #13
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Spending twice the price! I guess I hunt around for the CDs I want and I'm lucky in that most of them can be found relatively cheaply... i.e. on half.com I can get some CDs for less than the shipping! So for a grand total of under $5.

Well I really am loath to buying used cds as it's the exact same thing as piracy, in that the artist gets no money from a used cd sale. So I always buy new. I also don't really like buying physical cds on the internet, I'd rather be able to walk into a store and buy it, or as I have been doing for over a year now, buying off iTunes.

Also something to note, I've bought more cds in the last year than any other year.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:23 PM   #14
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Well I really am loath to buying used cds as it's the exact same thing as piracy, in that the artist gets no money from a used cd sale. So I always buy new.
That's a good point you make... that's also why I do buy new in specific cases; for the artists I really like and want to support.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:27 PM   #15
xtbfx
macrumors regular

Well the good thing about all that copy protection crap is it doesn't work on Macs. Meaning, just put the CD in and rip away. No big deal.

Yet another reason to own a Mac.
xtbfx is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:32 PM   #16
tangerineyum
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tangerineyum
Quote:
That's a good point you make... that's also why I do buy new in specific cases; for the artists I really like and want to support.
Wow really off topic, but im loving your avatar devilot76. My new machead gf got a set of original think different posters last year for x mas. I've been looking for the book ever since.

I have never bought a Cd in my life im 21 and about 900 of my 1500 songs were bought from itunes music store, i have one visa dedicated only to music.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 01:36 PM   #17
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerineyum
I have never bought a Cd in my life im 21 and about 900 of my 1500 songs were bought from itunes music store, i have one visa dedicated only to music.

Jesus!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 02:00 PM   #18
tangerineyum
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tangerineyum
Quote:
Jesus!

yes its a bit interesting to look at your bill mid month and realize that about 80 of those songs are mine, but not paid for yet
Old Oct 4, 2005, 02:16 PM   #19
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
I can't imagine how much money I've spent over the years on albums and CDs. I'm sure it's nothing like many collectors, but I know the record companies have made plenty of profit on me. Even in the days of vinyl, I bought the album along with a high quality Maxell or TDK blank cassette, so I could record the album and listen to it in my car. Pre-recorded cassettes suck as far as sound quality goes.

Now I 'find' much of my music online.

When record companies get in touch with the reality of the digital world and release music in an accessible and inexpensive way, everyone will be much happier.

BTW, how much of the music that I've bought since I was 12 is still playable? I'd have to say less than 10% (I still have a few CDs).
Old Oct 4, 2005, 02:20 PM   #20
sjk
macrumors 6502a

The reasons I buy CDs are for higher quality (when 128Kbps AAC is significantly inferior), if iTMS doesn't offer what I'm interested in (pretty common), or when I notice an irresistibly good deal (e.g. the 3-disk set I bought for $12 last month).
sjk is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 04:44 PM   #21
nbs2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
But, when you are buying used (if the seller hasn't made a copy that they keep), there is no reason for the artist to get paid. The seller bought the license to listen to the music for personal use. He is simply transferring that right for what the market will bear. If the CD is cheaper new, people will not buy it used. If it is no longer available, people will pay a premium. Its the same for any consumer product - if you sell your used car, the maker doesn't see another dime. If your sell your Dali, Dali doesn't see another dime. If I sell my copy of Billy Madison, Adam Sandler doesn't see another dime. Point is, I don't understand how buying a used product is the same as piracy.

But, maybe I misunderstand you and Sharewaredemon. Maybe you are saying that you just want to put more money in the musicians pocket (thus motivating them to do more work). That I understand.

Oh yeah. Regarding the story. I really do believe that this is the reason iTunes doesn't sell even better. When this happens, I expect people to steal rather than buy, even if it is electronically. EMI hates young people. There I said it. much better.

Last edited by nbs2; Oct 4, 2005 at 04:47 PM.
nbs2 is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:17 PM   #22
Some_Big_Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Some_Big_Spoon
They sue children and dead grandmothers, they don't care about you, me, or anyone else, and if they could, they'd hold guns to all our heads and make us clean out our pockets.

Google the suits I refer to before you flame.

Quote:

Some_Big_Spoon is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:21 PM   #23
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2
But, maybe I misunderstand you and Sharewaredemon. Maybe you are saying that you just want to put more money in the musicians pocket (thus motivating them to do more work). That I understand.
That's what we're saying-- we pay for new CDs to support the artists we like.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:22 PM   #24
Some_Big_Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Some_Big_Spoon
WTF? Buying a used car is also grand theft auto.

Quote:
Well I really am loath to buying used cds as it's the exact same thing as piracy, in that the artist gets no money from a used cd sale. So I always buy new.
Some_Big_Spoon is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2005, 08:29 PM   #25
gerlitzappel
macrumors regular

I ripped the new DMB album using iTunes on a friends PC, I didn't have any problems except that the album itself sucks.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion