Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Frombtos
macrumors newbie

iPad mini vs iPad 2: download speed issue

Hey guys

Hope you can help me with my issue

I just got an iPad mini as a gift. I've been previously using an iPad 2 from time to time to look at youtube videos and download music within an app. Now when i use my ipad mini, the download takes much longer. I looked at the specifics of the ipad 2 and the ipad mini and they're identical. But when i do the speedtest, then ghe download speed is pretty much the same. Does someone habe an explanation why the download takes so much longer? Or is there a problem with the ipad mini?

Thanks for the help!
Frombtos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Did you update to 6.0.2? That update was for an issue with Wi-Fi. If you have, you may try taking it to an Apple Store as my iPad mini downloads things just as fast as my iPhone 5 when both are on LTE or Wi-Fi. There have been reports of people having issues with the Mini's Wi-Fi.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Did you update to 6.0.2? That update was for an issue with Wi-Fi. If you have, you may try taking it to an Apple Store as my iPad mini downloads things just as fast as my iPhone 5 when both are on LTE or Wi-Fi. There have been reports of people having issues with the Mini's Wi-Fi.
BTW, the iPhone 5 (which might use the same wireless unit as the iPad Mini) running on 6.0.2 is also considerably slower than the iPad 2 / 3 when downloading via Wi-Fi.

This might be a hardware-related issue.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
BTW, the iPhone 5 (which might use the same wireless unit as the iPad Mini) running on 6.0.2 is also considerably slower than the iPad 2 / 3 when downloading via Wi-Fi.

This might be a hardware-related issue.
I'll have to compare my iPhone 5 and iPad mini to my iPad 3. Since 6.0.2 only supports the 5 and Mini, it's safe to assume they do indeed use the same chips.

But, like I said above, if the OP continues to have concerns about the speed, taking to Apple is a good first step.

EDIT* I just downloaded Theme Park (417 MB) on my iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5 all at the same time. All 3 were connected to the same AirPort Express that is wired via Ethernet.

All 3 downloads finished at the same time. The iPad mini and iPhone 5 were NOT considerably slower by any means. To insure the test was correct, I then deleted the app from all devices and reinstalled them at the same time to test it again. In the second test, I received the same results.

TL;DR - The iPad mini, iPhone 5 and iPad 3 all download at the same speed.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
HazyCloud is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting