Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:03 AM   #1
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

Changing torrent client - utorrent or bittorrent or transmission?

whats the best mac torrent app, and whats the differences between them?

i use vuze, but the site i use now has an annoying hit and run system so im starting to use another site which doesnt like vuze.

the options for 'accepted' clients are transmission, utorrent or bittorent.

what should i plump for?

i dont do anything complicated, but i like vuze automatically picking up torrents ive downloaded into my downloads folder. it'd be good if it would open at a set time so i could set it to open at midnight or something but other than that...
madeirabhoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

I have used Transmission and UTorrent, and really they are very very similar and have pretty much the same feature set.

I settled on Transmission as I found the interface easier to use and understand.

I know Transmission will do all the things you mentioned.
Weaselboy is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Trixster
macrumors member

Iīve used transmission but moved to utorrent when I did a fresh MT install. Transmission is good, but it getīs really slow (atleast on my mini) when there were a lot of torrents in the UL and DL que, and the fact that it had to ask for permission everytime the computer needed a reboot (i.e when you quit transmission) annoyed the hell out of me...

other then that, both utorrent and transmission can do what you ask for.
Trixster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixster View Post
Iīve used transmission but moved to utorrent when I did a fresh MT install. Transmission is good, but it getīs really slow (atleast on my mini) when there were a lot of torrents in the UL and DL que, and the fact that it had to ask for permission everytime the computer needed a reboot (i.e when you quit transmission) annoyed the hell out of me...

other then that, both utorrent and transmission can do what you ask for.
I'm not seeing that behavior. I think if you have this box checked in the firewall settings you will only get asked that when a new version of Transmission is installed, then never again. At least that is how it works for me on 10.8.2.

Thumb resize.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
bobright
macrumors 601

I chose uTorrent because you can check/uncheck files from a torrent, can't with Transmission.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I chose uTorrent because you can check/uncheck files from a torrent, can't with Transmission.
I don't know howe long ago you tried Transmission, but you can certainly uncheck files in a torrent at least with the current version.
Weaselboy is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I don't know howe long ago you tried Transmission, but you can certainly uncheck files in a torrent at least with the current version.
You've been able to for many past versions.

If you need a proxy for your torrenting you're stuck with Transmission V2.11 or earlier - the developers took proxy settings out after that (a stupid move in my opinion) - or use uTorrent. I think Transmission's UI is easier to use, but maybe that's because it was the first client I ever used and got used to it. uTorrent is newer on the Mac, but it's getting better with every version.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Trixster
macrumors member

Quote:
I'm not seeing that behavior. I think if you have this box checked in the firewall settings you will only get asked that when a new version of Transmission is installed, then never again. At least that is how it works for me on 10.8.2.

Thumb resize.
no thatīs not it.
The problem I had was that transmission asked "do you really want to quit the application" when you rebooted the computer, and you had to press "yes" for it to actually close. Maybe it is a setting though, but from what I remember I couldnīt find it in transmissions preferences.
Trixster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixster View Post
no thatīs not it.
The problem I had was that transmission asked "do you really want to quit the application" when you rebooted the computer, and you had to press "yes" for it to actually close. Maybe it is a setting though, but from what I remember I couldnīt find it in transmissions preferences.
Hmm... maybe unchecking this would help?

Thumb resize.

I normally manually pause DLs then quit the app before restarting, and never see this issue.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
OtherF
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeirabhoy View Post
whats the best mac torrent app, and whats the differences between them?
I'm using Transmission because it has simple UI and useful options like "Execute script after torrent download".

I use script for video conversion.
OtherF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:28 PM   #11
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
my fault it was recently, it was probably just on my part when clicking the .torrent could never find the option to select/uncheck files
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Trixster
macrumors member

Quote:
Hmm... maybe unchecking this would help?

Thumb resize.

I normally manually pause DLs then quit the app before restarting, and never see this issue.
yea, thatīs probably it!
Thanks
Trixster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

+1 for Transmission. Great software and Open Source. Wikipedia has more info.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Ledgem
macrumors 65816

ĩTorrent was my client of choice on Windows, but for Mac I use Transmission. It's a very active project that is updated regularly and works quite nicely.
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:32 PM   #15
dw3bb10
macrumors 6502

I've been using uTorrent for years, and for the last few months on my Macbook. Going to try out Transmission, thanks guys.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I use micro torrent (utorrent) for both mac and PC's. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's worked for me for years on my PC, and the last couple on my Macs. No complaints whatsoever....
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:54 PM   #17
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

For.....

ease of use, I will go with BitTorrent. But needing more options, I will lend towards Transmission....

Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:02 PM   #18
benny46
macrumors newbie

Just this week I've ditched my PC and bought myself an iMac. I'm getting started slowly and thought I'd jump on this conversation. I had Bittorrent on the PC and was wondering which is best for the Mac, after research I'm feeling the majority are saying 'Transition' hoping this is a good option for a new Mac user?
benny46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:13 PM   #19
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny46 View Post
Just this week I've ditched my PC and bought myself an iMac. I'm getting started slowly and thought I'd jump on this conversation. I had Bittorrent on the PC and was wondering which is best for the Mac, after research I'm feeling the majority are saying 'Transition' hoping this is a good option for a new Mac user?
They are all easy to use but UTorrent and Deluge are the best by far when it comes to speeds as they pick up more peers. Transmission is easy to use but the speeds are too slow, especially the upload speeds.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:59 PM   #20
Weaselboy
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
They are all easy to use but UTorrent and Deluge are the best by far when it comes to speeds as they pick up more peers. Transmission is easy to use but the speeds are too slow, especially the upload speeds.
I have used both Transmission and UTorrent, and I don't see any difference at all in UL speeds between the two.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:10 PM   #21
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

Performance wise, uTorrent and Transmission are about the same I've found, however, Transmission has a tendency (used to, haven't used it in a year) to be be a real resource hog for no apparent reason... One minute running fine, then maxing out the CPU for no apparent reason and slowing down then whole machine (fixed only by force quitting the Transmission app). It was a PITA, so I sacked it pretty quickly after uTorrent came out for Mac. Don't know if they have fixed the issue yet (it persisted for years over multiple releases, and is pretty well documented), and frankly don't care... I'm happy wih uTorrent, it's been perfect for me.
G-Mo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:27 PM   #22
kjs862
macrumors 65816

I've been using transmission for years but recently switched to utorrent after transmission started giving me problems.
kjs862 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:41 PM   #23
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I have used both Transmission and UTorrent, and I don't see any difference at all in UL speeds between the two.
It depends on your tracker, im using a private one and UTorrent is noticeably faster. UTorrent is well known as one of the best file sharing clients, Transmission, not so much.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:48 PM   #24
msandersen
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to msandersen
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
Performance wise, uTorrent and Transmission are about the same I've found, however, Transmission has a tendency (used to, haven't used it in a year) to be be a real resource hog for no apparent reason... One minute running fine, then maxing out the CPU for no apparent reason and slowing down then whole machine (fixed only by force quitting the Transmission app). It was a PITA, so I sacked it pretty quickly after uTorrent came out for Mac. Don't know if they have fixed the issue yet (it persisted for years over multiple releases, and is pretty well documented), and frankly don't care... I'm happy wih uTorrent, it's been perfect for me.
That was the reason I quit using it; there was a long bugreport on the issue going back years with the developers seemingly not able to pin it down, partly because they are mainly Linux developers. They blamed it on an OSX IO bug from memory, although Transmission was the only Bittorrent client affected by the issue. I don't know what triggered it in my case, as it had worked ok for a while before the instability issues set in; maybe I was using Transmission more and longer at the time. It seemed to slowly eat up resources to the point when it slowed to molassis, and if you weren't quick enough to shut it down, getting any menu up or force quitting could take minutes of beachball-watching as the mouse stuttered and everything became unresponsive. I got sick of it and thankfully by then uTorrent Beta had been released, although it was incomplete with only a subset of the features of its Windows original. I think it still doesn't have the same features, I haven't used the Windows version in years (aside: My Vista machine runs like molassis as par for the course these days; only a complete fresh install will fix it, and this is a Dell machine so not sure how to do that and frankly can't be bothered nor wanted to spend money on Windows 7, and 8 is not for me).
One thing I miss from Transmission is the ability to relocate a finished Torrent and still be available for seeding. I don't want all my finished torrents sitting in the torrent directory. At least uTorrent can move finished torrents to a specified directory and into a subfolder matching its tag (eg Movies). What I need for keeping things organised and to clear up space on the Downloads drive is the ability to move them manually post-download to any arbitrary location while still being active. It's good to seed.
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:58 AM   #25
benny46
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post

Thanks, and thank you to everyone with their input, I'm really liking the real reviews from this forum
benny46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store