Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
So I really want an iPhone, but dont want the high prices, as verizon is the only carrier where I live that has service. The iPhone 5 from Walmart Straight Talk I know for sure is on Verizon CDMA, but what about the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 4? Are they are on verizon too? People with ST iPhones through walmats new plan, please leave your experience and thoughts below!

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I'm pretty sure that all of the Straight Talk branded iPhones are on the Verizon network... Don't know for sure.

You could go into walmart and ask which model number they would be selling you. That would tell you if it is a CDMA device.

tbarney

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I thought for sure that there is another post on this topic where someone has done the research on this already and the iPhones sold at Walmart for use on straight talk are indeed CDMA phones using the Verizon network. The word is that the iphone5 will not get LTE service.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for GSM 3G but not LTE so you will not get LTE. Also straighttalk does not support visual voicemail or MMS and you need a workaround just for it to use 3G but from my experience its great, and you can just use Facebook/iMessage to send media.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Congratulations on absolutely nobody, except for tbarney, reading the OP or answering the OP's question!

Straighttalk is NOT CDMA but rather GSM since it uses AT&T's network. And the verizon iphone 5 would only support 3G with a GSM provider.

Ugh... Straight Talk recently released their own branded iPhone. It operates on Verizon's 3G network. It is not the same as the "Bring Your Own Phone" program.

Verizon iphone 5 will work on ST and will use AT&T network.

Not what the user was asking. The Straight Talk-branded iPhone uses Verizon's network, but just like the Verizon iPhone 5, the SIM card slot is unlocked and can use AT&T's network (or even the Straight Talk BYOP SIM program).

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for GSM 3G but not LTE so you will not get LTE. Also straighttalk does not support visual voicemail or MMS and you need a workaround just for it to use 3G but from my experience its great, and you can just use Facebook/iMessage to send media.

The Straight Talk branded iPhone supports everything out-of-the-box without any hackery needed. The BYOP SIM program does not and requires a configuration profile to be installed for data and hackery for MMS.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Thanks you mr brown for ACTUALLY answering my question fully. (There was someone else but I'm on my iPad so it doesn't show through the app)

laj619

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Don't buy one

Walmart.com sold me a $700 iPhone 5 with a dirty MEID (serial number) that Straight Talk could not activate.

I tried to activate with Straight Talk multiple times (in store, online at straighttalk.com, and using the 1-800 number). Straight Talk could not find the serial number registered as being legitimately sold and the representative told me the phone appeared the same as a “stolen” phone in their system. After going back to the store four separate employees (including the manager) were unable to fix the problem. They recommended I call the site-to-store telephone representative as the phone was purchased at walmart.com and delivered to my local store. That individual was similarly powerless to properly register the MEID as being legitimately sold.

Long story short - Walmart is selling iPhones with dirty MEID’s that can’t be activated with Walmart’s own cell phone carrier.

murugess

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Even I had the same problem...

I bought iphone 5 online on walmart.com and walmart associates had no clue how to activate it. I tried 3 different walmarts and all of them were clueless. I finally had to return and exchange a different phone at walmart in order to activate it.
Strange!!! Didn't expect this from a company like walmart.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
I bought iphone 5 online on walmart.com and walmart associates had no clue how to activate it. I tried 3 different walmarts and all of them were clueless. I finally had to return and exchange a different phone at walmart in order to activate it.
Strange!!! Didn't expect this from a company like walmart.

That happens when they don't properly train the associates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.