Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
DVD9
macrumors 6502a

Is My Laptop Trojaned with Apple's help?

Three days ago I posted this here:

I just came across this "Finfisher" trojan in a series of articles. I'm shocked that I found only one post about this on the OS X forum here with no reply.

This is a trojan that entered your computer through the iTunes update. Apple was officially informed of the "vulnerability" in 2008 but waited three years to patch it.

Is OS X really patched against this trojan, or did Apple patch it after they created another hole in OS X, or were informed that another hole was found so it was "OK" for Apple to patch it?

Should I just contact the FBI or British intelligence agencies like MI6 to purchase my next laptop? Do they sell direct to the public over their web sites?

Here's the wiki on "Finfisher".

Where is that "GG" guy who sells everyone on this forum on their Mac being trojan proof?

I'm pissed off. I paid over $2,000 for this laptop I'm making this post on and it might be infected since I've allowed "updates" to it via Apple.

I come back today to see if anyone has an answer and what do I find? The thread was locked within an hour and fifteen minutes and the responses were personal attacks on me.

Clearly Apple allowed their update system to be used by police agencies to load a trojan onto god knows how many Apple computers.

Part of the attacks on me was the claim that this is "old news". Well excuse me, but until there is an answer for this other than "Apple patched it" which was already dismissed as a possible answer in my post, there has been no answer for this problem.

Furthermore, this thread is not a "duplicate" as I did not make a post about it anywhere and my search of this forum before posting revealed no discussion of this issue had ever taken place here, and indeed that is still the case.

And yes for the outraged fan boys, I do indeed own a Macbook Pro laptop. Do I need to produce a letter from Jeff Bezos certifying my purchase of this laptop from Amazon which I'm using to make this post?

The question is, has Apple ever addressed this issue publicly? I have no interest in a "patch". The patch is not the issue. Apple allowing police agencies to use their update system to load a trojan on computers running their operating system is the issue.

Has Apple addressed it? What can we as users of Apple computers do about this issue?

Thank you.
DVD9 is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD9 View Post
Where is that "GG" guy who sells everyone on this forum on their Mac being trojan proof?
He does not do that, and if you thought he did, you probably did not pay attention to his posts.

Btw, his name is Mister GGJstudios. And oh wonder, he replied in that wasted thread of yours.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6

That only affected Windows machines that had iTunes' check for updates feature turned on and had Apple Software Update installed. It does not, did not, affect Mac OS X.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
bill-p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
That only affected Windows machines that had iTunes' check for updates feature turned on and had Apple Software Update installed. It does not, did not, affect Mac OS X.
Yeah, I'll quote this for truth.

Here's the official designation for FinFisher:
Win32/Belesak.D Trojan

Win32 should have been a dead giveaway.

I think the OP should have researched more before making statements.
bill-p is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is My Laptop Trojaned with Apple's help?
Of course!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:37 PM   #6
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:

Furthermore, this thread is not a "duplicate" as I did not make a post about it anywhere and my search of this forum before posting revealed no discussion of this issue had ever taken place here, and indeed that is still the case.
Interesting, since apparently you posted in this thread you resurrected 3 days ago from 2011 about the issue, 20 minutes before you created your "new thread" about it...
MacDawg is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
duervo
macrumors 6502a

This thread is most likely on the express train to Locksville.

Re-posting a thread that was previously locked is probably going to get you into hot water.
duervo is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland