Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cedarmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I just got my MBA i5 128G SSD running ML and made I guess a big mistake by trying to change my user name which was admin to a prefered name. Found a Apple guide online to do that and succeed doing it .But now when I boot up it ask for my password which is the same but open a different desktop (default it seems)and I can move the pointer but can not click on anything at all except shutting off. Nothing is available to me on all that desktop. I had all my MBA organized as I want to but I am afraid all is lost now. So may be an expert can explain me a way to get it back if at all possible. Thanks a million
I do have an other lap MBP to help if needed. Anxious to hear from this wonderful forum.:eek:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I just got my MBA i5 128G SSD running ML and made I guess a big mistake by trying to change my user name which was admin to a prefered name. Found a Apple guide online to do that and succeed doing it .But now when I boot up it ask for my password which is the same but open a different desktop (default it seems)and I can move the pointer but can not click on anything at all except shutting off. Nothing is available to me on all that desktop. I had all my MBA organized as I want to but I am afraid all is lost now. So may be an expert can explain me a way to get it back if at all possible. Thanks a million
I do have an other lap MBP to help if needed. Anxious to hear from this wonderful forum.:eek:

Double check your home directory is correct (Right click on username in Users & Groups -> Advanced Settings -> Home Dir.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can you log out from that desktop and get back to the main login screen? If so, then maybe you can select the "correct" username.

If you get a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter, you might be able to connect the Air to your Santa Rosa MBP using target disk mode. That would at least give you access to your data.

cedarmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
What Apple online guide did you use? Can you link to it? Did you backup your MBA already, if it has already new stuff on it?

it is this one I believe http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528
and no backup yet I know I am crazy

----------

Double check your home directory is correct (Right click on username in Users & Groups -> Advanced Settings -> Home Dir.

cannot go anywhere except the desktop screen after login
the only option is shutt off
I have tried in safe boot but same result

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If you can boot from the recovery partition you can enable the root account.

cedarmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
If you can boot from the recovery partition you can enable the root account.

even after trying booting with option key and choosing Recovery, it open with the four choice windows in recovery desktop but can not choose either one no click is recognized as before. Wow

cedarmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Ok found a way by God's grace using a combination of tab key and arrow and space key. I manage to go back to the setting area and change it back to admin. Than after reboot everything was there
Thank you Lord and thanks to the brave that tries to help me

----------

is that where I would change the name admin for something else

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Personally - either:

a) Change your name, leaving your username as "admin".

b) Create a new account and copy your stuff over.

You'll spend much less time faffing around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.