Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

ML Cookie Management...

Before I upgraded to a Mac Mini with Mountain Lion, I had been using "Safari Cookies" as my cookie manager of choice.

However -- with Mountain Lion, Safari Cookies no longer works properly. That is to say, it will not automatically delete cookies when Safari quits.

The only working option seems to be to open Safari preferences, go to the Safari Cookies pane, and "manually delete" the cookies, databases, etc. that you want to be rid of.

I understand this has something to do with [something I know little about] "SMBL" (or something like that), a technology that hasn't been retained with Mountain Lion (others please step in to clarify what I'm referring to).

So…. are there any other options for the Mountain Lion user to manage cookies? I want an extension or app that will create a "white list" of cookies I wish to retain, and then delete EVERYTHING ELSE when Safari quits.

Anything at all out there?
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

I don't have a solution for you but I am curious why you want to delete cookies every time Safari quits.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Badagri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
Before I upgraded to a Mac Mini with Mountain Lion, I had been using "Safari Cookies" as my cookie manager of choice.

However -- with Mountain Lion, Safari Cookies no longer works properly. That is to say, it will not automatically delete cookies when Safari quits.

The only working option seems to be to open Safari preferences, go to the Safari Cookies pane, and "manually delete" the cookies, databases, etc. that you want to be rid of.

I understand this has something to do with [something I know little about] "SMBL" (or something like that), a technology that hasn't been retained with Mountain Lion (others please step in to clarify what I'm referring to).

So…. are there any other options for the Mountain Lion user to manage cookies? I want an extension or app that will create a "white list" of cookies I wish to retain, and then delete EVERYTHING ELSE when Safari quits.

Anything at all out there?
Trust, don't. Been there too many times that messes up Safari at some point. Unable to finish loading and other weird occurrences.
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
This is one of the reasons I'm primarily using Firefox instead of Safari. Firefox has this built in. I block cookies from some sites, some sites are set to keep cookies until they expire and then the rest I have set as a default to delete cookies from websites who aren't otherwise set differently.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

I am using an app called Cookie. It runs as an app outside Safari and does exactly what you want. I am away from my Mac so don't have the link, but it is in the App Store. It runs as a OS X menu item.

Edit: Here is the App Store link.

Last edited by Weaselboy; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Link added
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

Thanks Weaselboy.

Actually, I discovered "Cookie" on my own, along with a couple of other possibilities that are [unfortunately] Power-PC only.

But Cookie does what I need...
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion