Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Before I upgraded to a Mac Mini with Mountain Lion, I had been using "Safari Cookies" as my cookie manager of choice.

However -- with Mountain Lion, Safari Cookies no longer works properly. That is to say, it will not automatically delete cookies when Safari quits.

The only working option seems to be to open Safari preferences, go to the Safari Cookies pane, and "manually delete" the cookies, databases, etc. that you want to be rid of.

I understand this has something to do with [something I know little about] "SMBL" (or something like that), a technology that hasn't been retained with Mountain Lion (others please step in to clarify what I'm referring to).

So…. are there any other options for the Mountain Lion user to manage cookies? I want an extension or app that will create a "white list" of cookies I wish to retain, and then delete EVERYTHING ELSE when Safari quits.

Anything at all out there?

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Before I upgraded to a Mac Mini with Mountain Lion, I had been using "Safari Cookies" as my cookie manager of choice.

However -- with Mountain Lion, Safari Cookies no longer works properly. That is to say, it will not automatically delete cookies when Safari quits.

The only working option seems to be to open Safari preferences, go to the Safari Cookies pane, and "manually delete" the cookies, databases, etc. that you want to be rid of.

I understand this has something to do with [something I know little about] "SMBL" (or something like that), a technology that hasn't been retained with Mountain Lion (others please step in to clarify what I'm referring to).

So…. are there any other options for the Mountain Lion user to manage cookies? I want an extension or app that will create a "white list" of cookies I wish to retain, and then delete EVERYTHING ELSE when Safari quits.

Anything at all out there?

Trust, don't. Been there too many times that messes up Safari at some point. Unable to finish loading and other weird occurrences.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This is one of the reasons I'm primarily using Firefox instead of Safari. Firefox has this built in. I block cookies from some sites, some sites are set to keep cookies until they expire and then the rest I have set as a default to delete cookies from websites who aren't otherwise set differently.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am using an app called Cookie. It runs as an app outside Safari and does exactly what you want. I am away from my Mac so don't have the link, but it is in the App Store. It runs as a OS X menu item.

Edit: Here is the App Store link.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks Weaselboy.

Actually, I discovered "Cookie" on my own, along with a couple of other possibilities that are [unfortunately] Power-PC only.

But Cookie does what I need...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.