Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticfc482

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Im at a situation where I cannot get my phone unlocked for at least 3 months from T Mobile UK and I have changed network.

Am I right in saying if I jailbreak my iPhone 4S (6.0.1) then I can unlock it easily enough for free?

If it is possible can anyone tell me how to do it and what the most reliable jailbreak software is?

Thanks

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Im at a situation where I cannot get my phone unlocked for at least 3 months from T Mobile UK and I have changed network.

Am I right in saying if I jailbreak my iPhone 4S (6.0.1) then I can unlock it easily enough for free?

If it is possible can anyone tell me how to do it and what the most reliable jailbreak software is?

Thanks
2 things.
1- You can't jailbreak iOS 6 on the 4S.
2- No, it wouldn't help.

Look into a paid IMEI unlock, they usually aren't too expensive.

celticfc482

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
2 things.
1- You can't jailbreak iOS 6 on the 4S.
2- No, it wouldn't help.

Look into a paid IMEI unlock, they usually aren't too expensive.

Problem is hardly any or none do TMobile UK for some reason or another, I guess it is too difficult. I am stuck with a useless iphone atm :(

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Problem is hardly any or none do TMobile UK for some reason or another, I guess it is too difficult. I am stuck with a useless iphone atm :(

Have you asked T-mobile if you can 'buy' the unlock from them? I know AT&T in the USA will give you a pro-rate early termination fee and unlock the phone. So, for example, if you're ETF (early termination fee) is $300 for a 24 month contract, that would mean you'd pay around $36~$40 to terminate it 3 months shy. I don't know if T-mobile does that or not, but you could always ask.

That also assumes that terminating the contract allows for an unlock. I know with AT&T they will, a friend of mine did a couple years ago when he switched from AT&T to Verizon. After paying the ETF, he was able to get his iPhone unlocked.

But anyway, it could be moot, as a quick google search reveals this as the top result;

http://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/tmobile-uk-unlock-codes-p-1467.html

Either way, you aren't likely going to get a 'free' unlock until your contract is up.

-John

celticfc482

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
My contract is up, that is the problem. It was finished and I asked for a PAC code so I could change network. At the time they didnt say the phone was locked and told me I had to have it unlocked. So I just changed my network this week and ported my number over which killed my other sim and that was me finished with tmobile. When I went to put in my new sim it turns out the phone is locked.

Tmobile say they need an active sim in the phone to unlock it, but my contract sim is now dead. The alternative is to get a pay as you go sim but their policy is that you need to be with them for 3 months on pay as you go before they can give you an unlocking code.

You can see the problem I have and there is no way for me to get it unlocked.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
getting a grey market IEMI unlock is the only option then there is a huge thread on it. you have to finds someone that unlocks that carrier, at&t is the cheapest you can find unlocks for only a few dollars. you might find it cheaper to sell your phone and then buy a locked AT&T phone and then buy the unlock for a few bucks. just to give you an idea the last software unlock is over 2 years old.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
My contract is up, that is the problem. It was finished and I asked for a PAC code so I could change network. At the time they didnt say the phone was locked and told me I had to have it unlocked. So I just changed my network this week and ported my number over which killed my other sim and that was me finished with tmobile. When I went to put in my new sim it turns out the phone is locked.

Tmobile say they need an active sim in the phone to unlock it, but my contract sim is now dead. The alternative is to get a pay as you go sim but their policy is that you need to be with them for 3 months on pay as you go before they can give you an unlocking code.

You can see the problem I have and there is no way for me to get it unlocked.
T-Mobile are usually very good but unlocking the iPhone is not their strong point. They told me to get mine unlocked at a market when that was not possible.
Just explain to them that they are the only people who can do it and they will.

celticfc482

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
No luck with tmobile.

I have a few more questions about Jailbreaking if someone could help.

. It is safe enough for your iPhone, ie it wont increase the likelyhood of your iPhone breaking.

. I have a iphone 42 with IOS6, I will need to downgrade to IOS5 before trying to jailbreak.

.Is it worth doing considering I cannot use the phone with the network I am on now.

. Does jailbreaking drain the battery more or bring performance down?

. Do all jailbreaking programs give the same result?

Also can someone provide a link where it shows a secure way of jailbreaking.
Thanks

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
. I have a iphone 42 with IOS6, I will need to downgrade to IOS5 before trying to jailbreak.

Thanks

You cannot downgrade a 4S from iOS6
And you have already been told you cannot jailbreak on iOS6

You only choice is an IMEI unlock from a grey market vendor !

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
No luck with tmobile.

I have a few more questions about Jailbreaking if someone could help.

. It is safe enough for your iPhone, ie it wont increase the likelyhood of your iPhone breaking.

.Is it worth doing considering I cannot use the phone with the network I am on now.

. Does jailbreaking drain the battery more or bring performance down?

. Do all jailbreaking programs give the same result?

Thanks

First of all, you need more research what JBing does. You are clueless to what you can do and what it can do.

1) JB is safe.
2) You can't downgrade 4S (Research)
3) You can't downgrade so it doesn't matter if it's worth it or not.
4) JB does not drain battery. It's tweaks that will drain battery. Depending what tweaks you download. (Research)
5) Yes, all JBing tools do the same thing with same result.
6) iclarified.com (or research/google)

celticfc482

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the help.

Basically my iPhone is useless now unless I change back to the current network which I do not want to. Every phone shop I go to including markets either do not unlock iPhone 4s or want over £100 or say that they cannot do it at the moment.

It really is a joke that apple cannot unlock their own phones when something like this occurs.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Just like you apple has a contract with the carrier, they can but are not allowed.

Exactly. The carrier 'owns' the phone as much as you do. The OP got the phone cheap because the carrier paid Apple a chunk of the price, and it was all in the terms of the contract he agreed to!

My suggestion OP; just go ahead and bite the bullet and go with T-Mobile for the next three months until you can get it unlocked. Or, sell it as a T-Mobile iPhone and buy an unlocked phone on eBay.

Also, even if a Jailbreak becomes available for iOS6 and the 4S, that doesn't mean an unlock will be available. It's not a jailbreak that unlocks a phone, but rather a baseband unlock that is separate (but still requires a jailbreak). For example, you CAN jailbreak (tethered) an iPhone 4 on iOS 6, but you CANNOT unlock it. That's likely to be the case with an iPhone 4S as well when the jailbreak is released for it.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
The carrier does not own the phone at all. The OP is quite entitled to sell the phone.
Just as the carrier is quite entitled to keep it locked to them for a period of time as they subsidised the original purchase price.
Why change carrier before the phone can be unlocked? Phones are normally kept locked for the length of the contract but if there is genuine reason for early termination they might be able to unlock earlier, if not, then the OP will have to wait for the unlock - although I am not sure T-Mobile are obliged to unlock it then, if the contract has been broken they might very well refuse to unlock it.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
The carrier does not own the phone at all. The OP is quite entitled to sell the phone.
Just as the carrier is quite entitled to keep it locked to them for a period of time as they subsidised the original purchase price.
Why change carrier before the phone can be unlocked? Phones are normally kept locked for the length of the contract but if there is genuine reason for early termination they might be able to unlock earlier, if not, then the OP will have to wait for the unlock - although I am not sure T-Mobile are obliged to unlock it then, if the contract has been broken they might very well refuse to unlock it.

Sorry, it was a poor choice of words, but you are right. They own the 'rights' to decide the carrier, perhaps, would be a better term.

Sounds like T-Mobile has kooky rules about how and when they unlock, according to the OP. But either way, he may just have to jump through the hoops to get it unlocked.

celticfc482

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Am I right in saying this new Evasion jailbreak that came out today can jailbreak and Iphone 4s with IOS6.1.

Just want to make sure before I try it.

Also will my current apps stay on the phone once I jailbreak or will they work if I restore the last backup on my phone?

Thanks

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Am I right in saying this new Evasion jailbreak that came out today can jailbreak and Iphone 4s with IOS6.1.

Just want to make sure before I try it.

Also will my current apps stay on the phone once I jailbreak or will they work if I restore the last backup on my phone?

Thanks

Yes, it will work with the 4S and iOS 6.1

You should do a backup 'just in case' but you shouldn't have to restore anything. Make sure the backup you do is NOT encrypted (this time, you can use encrypted backups later).

However, no, you won't lose anything. Just run the utility, follow the instructions, and voila! You'll have Cydia on your homescreen.

This, however, will NOT give you an unlock. Unlocks and Jailbreaks are two DIFFERENT things. In order to use a 'hack unlock' (aka Baseband Unlock) you need to be jailbroken, but not every jailbreak device will work.

Right now, the 4S on iOS 6.1 can NOT be unlocked, except for a carrier unlock.

krossfire

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
jailbreak for iphone4s

hi
my iphone 4s, 5.0.1 is unlocked... but it is not factory unlocked.

so can i jailbreak it without affecting my unlock mode that which is not permanently unlocked...

if there is a way to unlock pls some one tell the procedure....

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
hi
my iphone 4s, 5.0.1 is unlocked... but it is not factory unlocked.

so can i jailbreak it without affecting my unlock mode that which is not permanently unlocked...

if there is a way to unlock pls some one tell the procedure....

No need to post it twice, look in your own thread

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
it is unlocked by some normal software which can use any simcard.... but once the 'erase all contents' are reset.... it goes back to its original carrier... it is like temporary usage

That'll be a first...

Normal software cannot unlock a phone.
For the 4S there is only a SIM interposer or an IMEI unlock. Nothing else will work.

krossfire

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
That'll be a first...

Normal software cannot unlock a phone.
For the 4S there is only a SIM interposer or an IMEI unlock. Nothing else will work.

mines not IMEI unlock so it must be sim interposer.... so i can jailbreak without any problem to sim interposer mode...

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
A SIM interposer is a special inlay for your SIM,
Find out which one you have and if it is compatible with 6.1.3.

Also check which carrier it is locked to a cheap IMEI unlock is always the best solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.