Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Title says it all. The autocorrect feature does not work in Mac Mail. It's selected to correct as I type in the mail preferences. Autocorrect works fine in other apps (like text edit). In mail it just underlines it in red and nothing else.

It's a new 13 inch MBP (regular display).

I have reset the parameters when restarting the computer. I have also tried multiple settings in mail (and system wide) to fix this.

It's not my computer, so I don't want to have to reinstall Mountain Lion or have to start over with the mail app (unless it's very, very easy to do so, including not having to recreate all rules and smart folders).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Do you have it set to "Never" under preferences in Mail? Take a look at the screenshot below:

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-20%20at%2019.27.05.png

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Do you have it set to "Never" under preferences in Mail? Take a look at the screenshot below:

No, it's set to "As I Type" but it doesn't correct it as I type.

This is for my parents new MBP. I put the same setting on mine and it seems to work fine and correct it as I go.

CarisaC

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
North Carolina
I finally got my mac mail to autocorrect as I type. To do it, reply to any message in your inbox. Then go to Edit/Spelling and Grammar and click on "Correct Spelling Automatically." If you don't have a message open, this option will be grayed out. But once you've checked this option for one message, it'll autocorrect in every message you send.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.