Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
i got a problem when i tap erase all content and settings on my Jailbroken Ipod touch 4g it stuck on apple logo, after that it never go to screen menu..

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i got a problem when i tap erase all content and settings on my Jailbroken Ipod touch 4g it stuck on apple logo, after that it never go to screen menu..

Jailbreaking 101:

When jailbroken, never, ever, select Erase All Content and Settings.

I'm guessing you'll have to do a DFU restore. Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny this. But yeah, not a good mistake to make. Sorry :/

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
Not "Bricked"

Bricked means the device will not come on no matter what and is not completely useless, like a brick.

What you have is a simple software issue that can be fixed with a DFU restore.

Stop being so overly dramatic...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
When jailbroken, never, ever, select Erase All Content and Settings.

On iOS 5+, selecting that does nothing. The device will look as if its erasing everything, but upon force resetting it, all of the data is still there. Also, when jailbroken on iOS 5+ and selecting Wipe Device in Find My iPhone, you get the same results.

A DFU mode restore is required to get your device working again.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Bricked means the device will not come on no matter what and is not completely useless, like a brick.

What you have is a simple software issue that can be fixed with a DFU restore.

Stop being so overly dramatic...

im sorry, i dont know what do i called that im a newbie in ios device.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
On iOS 5+, selecting that does nothing. The device will look as if its erasing everything, but upon force resetting it, all of the data is still there. Also, when jailbroken on iOS 5+ and selecting Wipe Device in Find My iPhone, you get the same results.

A DFU mode restore is required to get your device working again.
hello sir i try DFU mode but error appears when installing the ipsw i dont know why. i do it two times i download also a 5.1.1 ipsw but the same error.
any solution?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What error are you getting? You can only restore to iOS 5.1.1 if you have your save SHSH blobs.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
my ipod currently version of OS is 4.1. the error is
the ipod could not be restored. an unknown error occured (3194)
it is possible to update in 5.1.1? i have that OS now

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
You will need to put the iPod into DFU mode & restore to the current firmware, not 5.1.1

If you have SHSH blobs saved for past firmwares you can create a custom firmware for yourself using them. You first need to download a program called Tiny Umbrella and use that to see what SHSH blobs are available to you. Do that and check back.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
You can't brick an iPod touch by jailbreaking. The only devices you can brick are the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS. It happens if you attempt to unlock by flashing the baseband and interrupt the process.

I laugh whenever I see someone say they bricked their iPod touch/iPhone because 9 times out of 10, it's fixable with a 10 minute iTunes DFU restore.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
can i download the latest firmware to the internet, then i use that firmware to install in my ipod?? because when updating the latest version of firmware in itunes it takes to long.
its takes 10-15 hours on my broadband. sometimes when in the middle of updating, the connection cuts, so if its possible can i do that?

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
You can't brick an iPod touch by jailbreaking. The only devices you can brick are the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS. It happens if you attempt to unlock by flashing the baseband and interrupt the process.

I laugh whenever I see someone say they bricked their iPod touch/iPhone because 9 times out of 10, it's fixable with a 10 minute iTunes DFU restore.
so your happy now?your laughing when someone got a mistake? im sorry i dont know what do i called that problem, i dont care if this is embarrassing. All i want know is to back my ipod into normal.
it takes 10minutes when updating on DFU mode?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
so your happy now?your laughing when someone got a mistake? im sorry i dont know what do i called that problem, i dont care if this is embarrassing. All i want know is to back my ipod into normal.
it takes 10minutes when updating on DFU mode?

Sounds like you just have a really slow connection. DSL maybe even dialup? But anyway you can probably find a version of 6.0.1 on the Internet and download it, but it probably won't download much faster. And then do the DFU restore and use the ipsw you downloaded. Just for future reference, don't jailbreak or fiddle around with things if you don't know what you are doing. I mean it's your money to lose, but research a lot before you attempt to do something like this. Anyone who doesn't know what DFU mode is shouldn't be jailbreaking.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Sounds like you just have a really slow connection. DSL maybe even dialup? But anyway you can probably find a version of 6.0.1 on the Internet and download it, but it probably won't download much faster. And then do the DFU restore and use the ipsw you downloaded. Just for future reference, don't jailbreak or fiddle around with things if you don't know what you are doing. I mean it's your money to lose, but research a lot before you attempt to do something like this. Anyone who doesn't know what DFU mode is shouldn't be jailbreaking.

i cant exactly get. you say DFU mode shouldn't be jailbreaking?
my plan is when my ipod is back to normal i want to jailbreak it again.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
i cant exactly get. you say DFU mode shouldn't be jailbreaking?
my plan is when my ipod is back to normal i want to jailbreak it again.

Get into DFU mode by doing this:

1.Plug your device into your computer.
2.Turn off the device.
3.Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
4.Hold the Home button without releasing the Power button for 10 seconds
5.Release the Power Button but keep holding the Home button
6.Keep holding the Home button until you are alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode
7.Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

Then, download the 6.0.1 ipsw for the iPod touch 4G (your device) and then do this to install it:

1 - hold the Alt key (on Mac OS X) / the Shift key (on Windows) and hit “restore” (as shown in the screenshot below)
2 - iTunes will show a dialog allowing you to select the IPSW file you want your device restored to
3- select the IPSW firmware bundle you want to restore to and hit “choose”*
4- be patient and wait for the installation process to be completed by iTunes

And you won't be able to jailbreak again after because there isn't one available for 6.0.1. But your device will work. And like I said before, you shouldn't be jailbreaking your devices until you do some research on this stuff. Understand it a little more before you go off and change things around. You can't take a test before you study and learn, same concept here.

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
i dont know if my procedure is right because my ipod dont turn off until to reach its empty bat, but when i plug my ipod to computer or charger its automatically turned on so i cant do step 2 and 3.
my procedure is restarting the ipod by holding home and power button to restart. so when i do that, the ipod appears on itunes and its in recovery mode. my ipod also is in a black screen.

so if i won't be able to jailbreak it again my ipod is for in music now? i dont know the apple password so i cant use it to download games or applications

Last edited:

gaitrex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Get into DFU mode by doing this:

1.Plug your device into your computer.
2.Turn off the device.
3.Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
4.Hold the Home button without releasing the Power button for 10 seconds
5.Release the Power Button but keep holding the Home button
6.Keep holding the Home button until you are alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode
7.Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present

Then, download the 6.0.1 ipsw for the iPod touch 4G (your device) and then do this to install it:

1 - hold the Alt key (on Mac OS X) / the Shift key (on Windows) and hit “restore” (as shown in the screenshot below)
2 - iTunes will show a dialog allowing you to select the IPSW file you want your device restored to
3- select the IPSW firmware bundle you want to restore to and hit “choose”*
4- be patient and wait for the installation process to be completed by iTunes

And you won't be able to jailbreak again after because there isn't one available for 6.0.1. But your device will work. And like I said before, you shouldn't be jailbreaking your devices until you do some research on this stuff. Understand it a little more before you go off and change things around. You can't take a test before you study and learn, same concept here.
i do your solution sir thank you very much you help a lot thanks, its ok now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.